Family Engagement. What it is:
- Family engagement is agencies involving youth and their families in decision making.
- Family engagement is any role or activity that enables families to have influence and direct and meaningful input into systems, policies, programs, and practices affecting services for youth and their families.
- Family engagement is sustainable. Family members continue to play roles in a youth's life, long after they are released from correctional facilities.
Family Engagement. What it isn't:
- Family engagement is not an innovation. In traditional societies, people around the globe have worked out issues on their own among family members.
- Family engagement is not ignoring or condoning harm a family member may cause. It is focusing on family strengths.
- Family engagement is not costly. Such support, unlike new programs, facilities, or staffing, requires no additional spending.
Written by a parent of an OYA youth