Skip to the main content of the page

Children's Care Licensing

​​​​​Children’s Care Licensing Program

Children’s Care Licensing licenses the following types of organizations and agencies that care for children:

  • Academic Boarding Schools
  • Adoption Agencies
  • Day Treatment Agencies
  • Foster Care Agencies
  • Homeless, Runaway, and Transitional Living Shelters
  • Outdoor Youth Programs
  • Residential Care Agencies
  • ​Secure Transportation Services
  • Therapeutic Boarding Schools


Oregon law requires child-caring agencies to be licensed. Children’s Care Licensing sets the licensing requirements for agencies that operate in Oregon and makes sure that agencies meet the requirements before receiving a license.

Children’s Care Licensing umbrella licensing rules apply to all child-caring agencies, and there are other specific requirements for each different type of child-caring agency. The requirements describe what kinds of programs and businesses need to be licensed, the training that employees of licensed agencies must have, the policies that the licensed agency must have in place, how the physical environment must be maintained to keep children safe and many other aspects of how a licensed agency must operate.

 Licensing requirements for each different type of child-caring agency​​


CPI Reimbursement Program
Submit all documentation for reimbursement to the following email address:​

If you have any questions, please contact the Child Care Licensing Program at 503-947-2331.



We do NOT oversee or license daycare or preschool facilities. 

For information on family child care or child care centers, contact the Early Learning Division at 800-556-6616. 

Contact us

If you have questions or need additional information, email or call any of the Children’s Care Licensing​ staff listed on our Contacts page.

Children’s Care Licensing 
201 High Street SE, Suite 500
Salem, OR 97301