Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

FAQs: State-Owned Land

Most of state-owned rangelands in eastern Oregon are currently leased (about 90 percent). For more information about the leasing program, see the Rangeland web page.
Yes. Depending on the proposed area, there may be opportunities for alternative energy development on state lands. Contact DSL’s office in Bend – 541-388-6112 – for more information.
State lease agreements require the lessee to control noxious weeds on their leasehold. DSL works cooperatively with lessees on weed control where it can be most effective. The agency’s own efforts include participation in three cooperative weed management areas (CWMAs) through contract ground spraying along roads, and initiating efforts to control some larger patches of noxious weeds. DSL contributes funds to the CWMAs, which enables their weed coordinators to better treat across ownership boundaries between state and private lands.
Yes, but if you plan to use what you find for commercial purposes or if the value is over $500, you will need an authorization from DSL.
It depends on what you intend to do and where. On land where the Department of State Lands owns both the surface and underlying mineral rights, you may take an occasional hand-sized sample and geologically map an area without obtaining an authorization. However, if you intend to dig holes or trenches, or conduct exploratory drilling, you will need to contact DSL. If the surface is owned by someone other than DSL or under lease to another entity, you’ll need to obtain permission from the owner or lessee.
The general policy of the State Land Board is to retain all mineral and geothermal resource rights unless they are determined to be of no significant value, in which case they may be sold upon approval by the Board.
See the State Land Sales web page for information on any current land being offered for sale.
DSL uses criteria and direction provided in the Real Estate Asset Management Plan to evaluate difficult-to-manage and/or isolated parcels that are not generating money for the Common School Fund. All land sales and exchanges are processed through rules established in OAR 141-067. Parcels are carefully evaluated for financial, natural, cultural and recreational impacts before sales. Adjacent property owners, interested parties, and federal, state and local agencies are notified during the evaluation. The Land Board approves all final transactions and sale methods, such as public auction.​