Skip to main content

Reporting for Housing

Housing Production Reporting

All Oregon cities with a population greater than 10,000 are required by the legislature to report on housing production. These reports for housing produced in the immediately preceding calendar year are made annually to DLCD, and are due no later than February 1st of the following year. Reporting must include the total number of units permitted (building permits issued) and produced (temporary or final certificate of occupancy issued) for the following types of housing:

  1. Residential units.
  2. Regulated affordable residential units.
  3. Multifamily residential units.
  4. Regulated affordable multifamily residential units.
  5. Single-family homes.
  6. Regulated affordable single-family homes.
  7. Accessory dwelling units.
  8. Regulated affordable accessory dwelling units.
  9. Units of middle housing, as defined in ORS 197.758(1)(b).
  10. Regulated affordable units of middle housing.

DLCD provides a HB4006 Permitted and Produced Units Reporting Template for cities to use for this required reporting.

Severely Rent-Burdened Cities

In addition to the reporting requirement above, House Bill 4006 (2018) requires cities greater than 10,000 in population with severely rent-burdened households to complete a survey and to hold a public meeting to discuss the causes of severe rent burdens, the barriers to reducing rent burdens, and possible solutions. "Severe rent burden" or "severely rent burdened" is the circumstance where a household spends more than 50 percent of the household income on gross rent for housing. A "severely rent burdened city" is a city where at least 25 percent of the renter households in the city are severely rent burdened. The Oregon Housing and Community Services Department is charged with notifying severely rent-burdened communities of this obligation every year.

These requirements are a result of HB 4006 (2018) and implementing rules adopted by Oregon Housing and Community Services (OAR-813-112-0000), effective October 24, 2018.

Other Reporting - Residential Land Use Decisions

Please note that Oregon cities with populations greater than 25,000, as well as Metro, are required to report on residential land use permits and residential zone changes per ORS 197.178. More information on these requirements can be found on the City and County Required Reports webpage.


House Bill 4006 tasked Oregon Housing and Community Services to create a survey for severely rent-burdened cities, which were required to complete this survey annually. House Bill 2003 amended this requirement to require cities with a population greater than 10,000 to complete this survey 24 months prior to a deadline for completing a housing production strategy under ORS 197.290. The contents of this survey are in development as part of rulemaking for House Bill 2003. More information on House Bill 2003 can be found on the Housing Needs and Production webpage.

Resources (links)


Gordon Howard
Community Services Division Manager
Phone: 503-934-0034

Kim Travis
Housing Integrator
Phone: 503-428-3843

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how