Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »


From property tax exemptions to help filing taxes, many resources exist specifically for veterans.

Benefits and Programs

Did you know that the Charitable Checkoff program lets you designate all or part of your Oregon refund to support veterans?

Your tax refund can be donated to support:

  • The Oregon Veterans' Homes
  • Veterans Suicide Prevention

Disabled veterans may qualify to "borrow" from the State of Oregon to pay property taxes to the county.

Who qualifies?

To qualify, veterans must be determined eligible to receive or be receiving federal Social Security disability benefits due to disability or blindness. If you qualify, the Oregon Department of Revenue (DOR) will pay property taxes to the county. Six percent of the taxes are deferred and a lien will be placed on the property. All taxes plus interest and fees must be repaid.

Applicants must file their requests with their local county assessor’s office.

For more information: Contact your county assessor or find the pertinent forms from the Oregon Department of Revenue​ (keyword search: "veteran")

If you are a disabled veteran, you may be entitled to exempt some of your homestead property’s assessed value from your property taxes.

Who qualifies?

To qualify, veterans must be certified by the VA or any branch of the Armed Forces as having disabilities of 40 percent or more or be certified each year by a licensed physician as being 40 percent or more disabled.

Active duty service members, including National Guard and Reserve members, may also qualify for a residential property tax exemption.

For more information: Contact your county assessor or find the pertinent forms from the Oregon Department of Revenue​ (keyword search: "veteran")​

Disability compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. 

For more information: Disability Compensation

Did you know?

Property tax exemptions also apply to qualifying surviving spouses of veterans.
Find A VSO

To start a claim, find a veteran service officer near you.

Find A VSO
Stay Informed

Sign up for updates from ODVA on Taxes below:

Latest News