Skip to main content


Reduced rates and unique opportunities for hunting, fishing, hiking and other outdoor recreation are available to veterans at state and national parks and on other public lands. Always check for a veteran discount before purchasing a park pass or sporting license.

Benefits and Programs

A free hunting and angling license for disabled war veterans with a federal VA-rated service-connected disability of 25 percent or more is offered through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Veterans must be Oregon residents for at least six months. Also, non-resident uniformed service members are able to hunt or fish in Oregon for the same cost as a state resident.

For more information: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife: Hunters and anglers with disabilities

Service-connected disabled veterans can apply for this pass from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Passes are valid for four years and allow free year-round camping and day-use privileges at RV and tent sites at 26 Oregon State Parks.

For more information: Oregon State Parks: Special Access Pass

Active duty military members on official leave are eligible to be reimbursed for state park visits. After your visit, send the camping receipt for the dates of your stay, and a letter from your CO on official letterhead stating you were on leave for the dates you camped.

The refund request must arrive no later than 30 days after departure date of your stay. Send a receipt to Oregon State Parks Attn: Special Access Pass Program, 725 Summer St NE Suite C, Salem, OR 97301.

For more information: Oregon State Parks: Refunds for Active Duty Military on Leave

The America the Beautiful Parks Pass Series is your ticket to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites. Included in this series are two passes that benefit current service members and disabled veterans. A free annual pass (normally $80) is available to active duty military, reserve and National Guard members and their dependents. A free access pass is also available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a permanent disability.

Each pass covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges, standard amenity fees at national forests and grasslands and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation. 

You can obtain a pass in person, with proper documentation, from a participating federal recreation site or office.

For more information: USGS: National Parks and FederalRecreational Lands Pass​

Did you know?

Veterans with a service-connected disability may camp for free at Oregon state parks with a special access pass.
Find A VSO

To start a claim, find a veteran service officer near you.

Find A VSO
Stay Informed

Sign up for updates from ODVA on Recreation below:

Latest News

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how