are a real hazard for coastal communities in Oregon. Whether the tsunami
travels the great distance across the Pacific Ocean to reach our shores or is
caused by a local megathrust earthquake, all businesses need to be planning for
what they will do during such an event. Tsunami
Safe: Hospitality begins with Safety is a program that on providing these
businesses with resources to begin their planning, to educate their employees,
and inform their visitors.
If you have
not had a chance to participate in the introductory training and/or the
disaster planning training, this is a great opportunity to pull your
management staff together at your facility and participate. Follow the links for each training to register now for each.
- Tsunami Safe Introduction:
Topics include Cascadia Subduction Zone overview and Tsunami Safe
program components. For all facilities interested in participating in
- Tsunami Safe - Disaster Planning Training:
Does your facility have a disaster plan? Get information about how to
begin your disaster plan. This training will focus on an all-hazards
approach to disaster planning.
After registering for each training, you will receive a confirmation
email containing information about joining each training’s webinar.
Prior to the training, you will also receive an email with documents
that will be discussed during the webinars.
Register for the Program
Throughout the year, there are introductory and disaster planning
trainings held on the coast. Register for the program to receive information
when these trainings are held.
to receive the latest
information about the program and to receive periodic newsletters with
Components of the Program
Disaster Planning for Businesses training
Periodic disaster and business continuity planning trainings will be
offered along the coast as an opportunity to get help starting or strengthening
your planning efforts. Information on trainings will be sent out via the
registered participants. To register, fill out this form
Tsunami Safe: Hospitality Begins with Safety
is an online awareness training for employees created in partnership with the
Cascadia Region Earthquake Workgroup (CREW). The online training discusses the
Cascadia Subduction Zone, tsunami threat, and preparedness steps to take.
These materials are free to print to
inform your guests of the hazard and what to do if one occurs. Oregon Office of
Emergency Management is willing to work with facilities to add in your logo and
adjust the graphics if need be.
- Guest directory information pages – contains detailed information about what to do if an earthquake and tsunami occurs
- Guest room table tents – contains brief information about what to do if an earthquake and tsunami occurs and are easily placed in breakfast rooms, on check-in counters, or on tables in guest rooms. These are formatted to print as actual 4.5”W x 6”H table tents.
- Door key cards and key card slips – provides an always present reminder in the hands of your guests of “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” and “Run for High Ground” information
- “Waves” Video – provides a fun, educational video about beach safety at the Oregon Coast. Video can be played on in-room channels by receiving the electronic video file or sent in confirmation emails via a YouTube link.
For more information about the program, contact:
Althea Rizzo, Geologic Hazards Program Coordinator