Skip to main content Homepage

OHP and Taxes

Your household may qualify for a bigger refund with an Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a federal tax credit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file.

One in five taxpayers who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit will not claim it, often because they don't know it exists. Learn more on the EITC Outreach website. If you need no-cost tax filing help, visit the CASH Oregon website.

How to report your health coverage at tax time

People who file a federal income tax return are required to report health coverage on their tax return. Insurers send IRS Form 1095 as proof of coverage. You must report which months of the year you had health coverage when you file your federal income tax return.

If you or someone in your household had Oregon Health Plan (OHP) coverage during the tax filing year, here is what you need to know:

  • Each person who had OHP anytime during the year, even children, will get an IRS Form 1095-B in the mail from the Oregon Health Authority.
  • The Form 1095-B lists exactly which months you had OHP. If you had OHP for only one day, the form will show that you had coverage that month.
  • You will get a Form 1095-B even if you had OHP for only part of the year or if you don't file a tax return.
  • Keep Form 1095-B for your records. Do not send it with your tax return.
  • View the 1095-B Form
  • If there is an error on your Form 1095-B: Please call the OHP 1095-B Service Line at 844-346-8060 (TTY 711) right away, no matter how small the error. The number to call is also on the Form 1095-B. Your information on the form goes to the IRS, and even small errors must be corrected.

To learn more about the Form 1095-B, read our fact sheet. Also read the information below about how to report other health coverage for you and your family.

Other insurance

For your tax return, you will need information on all the 1095 forms you get.  To learn more about how to report this coverage, please visit the IRS website.

  • If you purchased health insurance through or, will send you a Form 1095-A.
  • If you had insurance through any other source, that insurer will send you a different Form 1095.

Get help with your taxes

Several organizations offer help preparing taxes, including electronic tax filing services. In some cases help is free. Find out what resources are available to you and get information about electronic filing (e-file) by clicking the links below.

More resources

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how