Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Air Conditioner and Air Filter Program

Oregon Health Authority (OHA) offers free air conditioners and air filters to people who qualify. This protects people at risk from extreme heat and wildfire smoke. 

Applications for this program are now on pause. This is to make sure qualified people who applied for an air conditioner can get one. OHA will update this page when applications open again.

Who Can Get an Air Conditioner (AC)?

To qualify, you must:

  • Not already have an AC
  • Get medical assistance now or have in the past 12 months through:
    • Oregon Health Plan open card (fee-for-service) coverage. Open card members are not enrolled in a coordinated care organization (CCO), 
    • Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) or 
    • Medicare
  • Be at risk for heat-related illness because you're:
    • 65 years or older; or
    • A medically fragile child; or
    • Have a medical condition that's made worse by heat or smoke. Things like:
      • Diabetes
      • Heart disease
      • Hypertension
      • Obesity
      • Asthma

Who Can Get an Air Filter?

To qualify, you must meet all the same requirements for getting an AC. You also need to live in one of these counties: Deschutes, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, East Lane, Klamath or Lake County.

How Do I Apply?

Applications are on pause. People not enrolled in a CCO can contact a care coordinator at 888-834-4304 or email

Other Ways to Stay Cool or Get an AC or Air Filter

Cooling centers

During heat waves, many communities open cooling centers. You can learn where they are by calling 2-1-1 or 1-866-698-6155 or visiting


Oregon Health Plan members can call their CCO and ask about flexible services for ACs and air filters. CCOs may have a limited supply. They'll focus on people most at risk. 

If you don't know what CCO you're in, call OHP Client Services at 1-800-273-0557. Or email

NOTE: You won’t qualify for flexible services if you get services from:  
  • Aging and People with Disabilities (APD)  
  • Oregon Developmental Disability Services (ODDS)  

Cities and counties

Some cities and counties offer ACs but supply is limited. Check with your city or county to see if they have any programs.


To see more information about the program, view our Frequently Asked Questions.

  • For complaints about the program, use OHP's online form.
  • For questions about the program, call OHP Client Services at 800-273-0557.

Cleaner Air and Heat Relief Survey

For people who got an AC or air filter through OHA

Did you get a free AC or air filter through OHA? If so, Oregon State University and OHA want to hear from you. 

Please take a moment to complete this voluntary survey about your experience. Your answers will help shape future health programs that meet the needs of your community.