In 2023, the Oregon Legislature passed HB 2817
that explicitly includes “the treatment of the skin, skin-related structures and subcutaneous masses, and wounds involving skin, skin-related structures and subcutaneous masses, on the human leg no further proximal than the tibial tubercle" within the podiatry scope of practice starting January 1, 2024. The Oregon Legislature has directed the Board to further define “treatment" and determine appropriate levels of education.
HB 2817 Workgroup
On August 23, 2023, the Oregon Medical Board hosted a workgroup to review and make recommendations to implement HB 2817 (2023). The bill explicitly includes “the treatment of the skin, skin-related structures and subcutaneous masses, and wounds involving skin, skin-related structures and subcutaneous masses, on the human leg no further proximal than the tibial tubercle" within the podiatry scope of practice. The workgroup included persons with subject matter expertise who would likely be affected by the proposed rules. The workgroup included Board members, DPMs, MD/DO physicians, and representatives of professional associations. The process was designed to include a diversity of opinions and viewpoints. Although the workgroup members made recommendations, the Oregon Medical Board retains decision making authority. The HB 2817 workgroup meeting was open to the public and any member of the public could attend the meeting and participate during the designated public comment period.
Rulemaking Timeline (tentative):
- August 23, 2023 – HB 2817 workgroup meeting, see Workgroup Meeting Packet.
- September 13, 2023 – Administrative Affairs Committee (AAC) meeting; AAC reviewed the workgroup information and recommended initiation of the rulemaking, see AAC Meeting Materials (pages 69-125).
- October 5, 2023 – Oregon Medical Board (OMB) meeting; OMB initiated the rulemaking.
- November 16, 2023, 1 p.m. Public Hearing, see the rulemaking information sheet for videoconference information on providing oral testimony.
- November 27, 2023, Close of Public Comment, written comments due by 5 p.m. and must be submitted via email to email@example.com, see rulemaking notice.
- December 13, 2023, AAC meeting; AAC will review comments and make a recommendation.
- January 4, 2024, OMB meeting; OMB will review AAC recommendation, public comments, and may vote on final adoption of rule.
For questions about the HB 2817 workgroup and bill implementation process, contact Elizabeth Ross, Legislative and Policy Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (971) 673-2700.