Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Foreign Trained Therapists

The Oregon Occupational Therapy Licensing Board does issue licenses to foreign trained therapists if they have met all the qualifications of the Oregon statutes, ORS 675.210 to 675.340.  Applicants must have been found eligible to take and pass the NBCOT certification examination. For information about NBCOT visa and credential information check


NBCOT recognizes that there are many different types of educational systems around the world. Although the foreign system may be different, occupational therapy schools are approved by the international organization that sets worldwide standards for occupational therapy educational programs. If the applicant in Oregon has met those standards, been approved to take the national certification examination, passed it and have met the requirements for licensure, they can be licensed in Oregon.


If the foreign trained applicant does not have a Social Security Number they must fill out and submit a Notarized Affidavit regarding SS number to the Board.

The foreign applicant will also provide:

Verification from the licensing body in the country practiced in.  This must be primary source, sent directly by the licensing body.

Recent work evaluations.

Fingerprinting is now required of all new applicants. The board will allow applicants who are out of the country to submit fingerprint cards, however those inside the US must utilize the state vendor (Fieldprint). Please contact the Board if you have any questions.

Fees:  Please note that fees must be paid in American dollars.