If you have more than 20 manual checks in one day,
See the section titled, Bulk Manual Check Requests, for special processing instructions that apply.
What is a manual payroll check?
- Manual (aka "Special" or "Off-cycle") payroll checks are those checks which are produced outside of the two system runs for the 1st and 15th of the month pay days.
Who can request a manual check?
- Oregon Accounting Manual (OAM) Policy 45.25.00.PO and its associated procedure 45.25.00.PR govern the conditions for requesting a manual check.
- Designate signature authorities by completing the OAM Form 75.45.01.FO, Authorized OSPA Signatures and sending the original to OSPS. Faxed copies are not acceptable. Changes to authorized signatures require a new completed form.
- Once this form has been received by OSPS, the people so designated can simply sign subsequent check requests until or unless an updated form removes their authority to do so.
How do I request a manual payroll check?
- To request a manual payroll check, fax the request to us at (503) 378-3518 by 11:30am daily. No cover sheet is necessary. If requesting more than 20 checks per day, please follow the "Bulk Manual Check Requests " guidelines below.
- We practice good audit controls when we prepare manual checks because we are accountable for using good control. Following are some of the requirements for ordering a manual check:
- No stamped signatures are accepted on any document ordering a check.
- No initials, no typed signatures, no signatures signed by someone "for" another person.
- For closed pay periods, set the corrective flag to "Y".
The person authorized to sign a request for issuance of a check must personally sign the request.
The employee´s signature is required on a pay advance request. The advance request must be signed by the manager and the person in your agency who is authorized to approve pay advances.
Label your manual check requests - "termination", "retirement", "error correction", "timekeeper error", or another short descriptive statement. In the case of deceased employees, please note if the payee is the surviving spouse or dependent child. If the request is to "the estate of" no further explanation is necessary.
How often are manual payroll checks produced?
- Manual checks are produced daily and placed in agency lockboxes or in the shuttle pickup area by 3:00pm. We put a note on PMS when checks are ready for pickup.
- Deadline to request manual checks is 8:30am. If you´re running close to the deadline, please call us at (503) 378-6777 option 0 to see if we can hold the batch for you. Bulk orders of manual checks (seasonal terminations for example) have different criteria. See the section marked "Bulk Manual Check Requests ", below.