What is a Status
To ensure that employees
are set up correctly in Workday and the Payroll system, all agencies are
required to do a “status check” with PERS prior to entering the PERS Class Plan
coding. PERS is the only entity that has
access to an employee’s entire work history in order to determine their PERS
Plan and contribution start date (CSD).
A status check provides
the following details that can be used to determine appropriate Workday and Payroll
o PERS Plan (Tier 1, Tier 2 or OPSRP)
o “Eligible upon hire with CSD” or “needs to serve a
o Retired and if retirement was “Normal” or “Early”
(This impacts the retiree hour limit)
o If the employee is already enrolled in Voluntary Contributions with another PERS employer.
Agency staff must be
authorized by DAS CPERS in order to receive a status check from PERS. See the
detailed process outlined below:
· Agency HR/Payroll partners notify DAS CPERS analyst of
staff that need authorization to obtain status checks. CPERS maintains the list of authorized contacts
and regularly updates PERS of any changes. DAS CPERS recommends that HR perform
the status check so that the employee is set up correctly in Workday, and then
shares the information with Payroll for coding OSPA accordingly.
· Authorized personnel may request a status check using
o Phone: Contact PERS Employer Center at 1-888-320-7377 M-F between
the hours of 8:30-12:00.
o Fax: Fill out the Status Check Form and fax it to PERS directly.
· PERS completes section B, columns 4-9 and faxes the
form back to the agency.
· Agency uses PERS Class Plan worksheet to determine appropriate code to enter into Workday and Payroll.
· CPERS will work as a Liason between the agency and PERS on any account issues that arise. CPERS may ask the agency for a copy of the status check from if needed.
process has financial impact:
· The coding entered in Workday is sent to PERS via a monthly file
from CPERS. This sets up the employee’s PERS account and sets the rate PERS
will expect to receive each month.
· The information in Workday interfaces to OSPA and
updates the P030 screen.
· Based on the PERS Class Plan Coding, payroll
determines the appropriate code to enter on the P010 screen in the RTMT SYST and
RTMT STMT fields.
· The P010 coding controls the employee IAP and employer
contribution rate being sent to PERS.
· If this process is not completed correctly and timely agencies
will be invoiced at the end of the year for additional contributions owed to
· Voluntary Contributions are a monthly deduction the employee has enrolled in through PERS. The status check will provide notification if the employee is enrolled in Voluntary Contribitions. Setting the deduction up timely prevents multiple months from being deducted from the employees pay at one time.