Beginning November 1, 2022, people can apply for the program using the OHP application. This is to review for Medicaid eligibility first. If determined ineligible for Medicaid, OHA/ODHS will then screen for Oregon Veteran Dental Program eligibility. This may result in three different scenarios:
• Scenario 1: If the veteran is determined eligible for full OHP, they will be automatically enrolled and sent a notification via mail. The veteran will have full OHP medical, dental and behavioral health care coverage. Veterans have the option to decline coverage but must contact OHA/ODHS to do so.
• Scenario 2: If determined ineligible for full OHP, the veteran will be
screened for the new dental program. If determined eligible for the
dental program, coverage will begin on January 1, 2023. The veteran
will need to submit discharge documentation to keep ongoing dental coverage.
• Scenario 3: If determined ineligible for both full OHP and the new
dental program, veterans are encouraged to reach out to the VHA, a
County or Tribal Veteran Service Officer (VSO), or current health care
provider to discuss existing coverage or earned benefits. Veterans
OHA/ODHS will continue to accept and process applications for the
program even after capacity has been reached. After capacity is reached, OHA/ODHS will:
• Create a waitlist list for all eligible veterans who cannot be enrolled due to capacity limits.
• Notify veterans they have been added to the list.
• Invite veterans to complete a new OHP application, should OHA/ODHS have additional capacity for the program. OHA/ODHS will send invitations in the order veterans were added to the list. To keep their spot on the list, veterans will need to complete their new OHP application within 45 days of the invitation.
Applying for services through the Oregon Veteran Dental Program should not impact a veteran’s existing services administered through federal veteran health programs. If a veteran is concerned about impact to their existing benefits, OHA/ODHS encourages working with local County or Tribal Veteran Service Officers (VSOs), or the appropriate VA or Department of Defense (DOD) points of contact.