Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Scientific Research Collection Permits
Scientific Research and Collection on Oregon Parks and Recreation Department Owned and Managed Lands
The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) welcomes interest in conducting scientific research and collection on lands owned and managed by the department.  Scientific studies designed to increase the understanding of ecological processes and resources on state park lands are a valuable source of information for park and resource managers.

OPRD intends to cooperate with organizations and institutions when their scientific research is compatible with the department’s mission of land stewardship through the protection of ecological processes and natural resources.

A scientific research and collection permit is required for most scientific activities pertaining to natural and cultural resources that involve specimen collection, field work, or that may have the potential to disturb natural and cultural resources on OPRD owned or managed lands.

All requests for a permit to conduct scientific research and/or collection must be submitted on a current “ Oregon Parks and Recreation Department Scientific Research Permit Application” form (Available in Adobe or Microsoft Word formats):

Instructions and Scientific Permit Form [pdf]

Instructions and Scientific Permit Form [rtf]


Complete all appropriate blocks/lines. Applications must be typewritten with original signatures. A complete application prevents delays!
  • Sign the application in ink and email the complete application to the email address at the bottom of the form (and listed below). Faxed copies will not be accepted.
  • We recommend that applications be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the first planned field activity. 
Permits generally will be issued for one year however, in some circumstances permits may be given for multiple years. 

To Email Application or for Questions Contact as follows:
Sara Griffith, Stewardship Assistant
(503) 986-0737

If needed, mail applications to:
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
Attention: Stewardship Section
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C
Salem, Oregon 97301


Ocean shores and scenic waterways permits
For Ocean Shore and Scenic Waterway Permit Information: 
visit the OPRD Rules and Regulations website