Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Frequently Asked Questions

​Many youth have committed serious crimes, including theft, burglary, sex offenses, forgery, or assault. Most have drug and alcohol issues. 

OYA youth must complete all or most of their treatment and show stable behavior before they are eligible for foster care.
The maximum number of youth in a home is three. However, OYA prefers to limit homes to one or two youth.

The number of youth in a home depends on the size of the home, the size of the family, what the foster parents can offer the youth, and the foster parents’ skill level.
Youth cannot share bedrooms with children of the foster parent. 

They may share bedrooms with other OYA youth, but there are restrictions:
  • Youth older than 18 may not share a room with younger youth.
  • Two youth with sex-offending issues may not share a bedroom with each other or with any other OYA youth.
  • Three youth with sex-offending issues may share a room with each other, but not with other youth.
​All OYA foster youth who have not yet finished their high school diploma or GED are required to attend school.

Most youth can and do attend public school near their foster home.

Some need additional educational assistance and may need to attend alternative schools or other programs available in the area.
Foster parents need to: 
  • Role model appropriate behaviors.
  • Hold youth accountable for their behaviors.
  • Support youth in learning new skills and behaviors.
  • Provide structured supervision.
  • Supervise and know where the youth is at all times. 
  • Help the youth learn to budget and save money.
  • Provide a safe and clean home environment.
  • Work with the youth’s juvenile parole/probation officer (JPPO) to establish a case plan that meets the needs of the youth. This may include:
    • Contact with the youth’s family. 
    • Goals around vocational training, school, employment or treatment.

​This is determined by the youth’s case plan.​

​OYA can certify family members or individuals who are interested in fostering a specific youth. Regular foster care applicant requirements still apply. Contact your county’s certifier for more details.​

​Yes, this is possible, depending on your circumstances. We review each case on an individual basis.​