Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

History Center Photos - People
Introduction
This page is devoted to some historical photographs of ODOT employees. This is only a sampling of the many photographs available in the History Center.
 
Historical records, correspondence and photographs dating back to the late 1800's are stored at the ODOT History Center in Room 5 of the Transportation Building in Salem, Oregon.

The documents in the History Center are public records and open to inspection, as well as being available to copy.  The History Center has space available for old records, including photographs, which are not being used in daily work.  If you have any questions about the center, contact Pat Solomon Archivist at (503) 986-3284 or FAX (503) 986-4025.
 
To get back to the main History Center page, click here.

Bridge Engineers

 
Conde McCullough
Conde McCullough, Bridge Engineer, 1919-1937
Assistant State Highway Engineer, 1932-1946
 
Conde B. McCullough was born in Dakota Territory in 1887.  He was raised and educated in Iowa, earning undergraduate and graduate degrees in civil engineering from Iowa State College.  McCullough came to Oregon in 1916 to teach structural engineering at Oregon Agricultural College (known today as OSU).  He moved to Salem in 1919 to become the State Bridge Engineer.  McCullough headed the Oregon State Highway Department’s bridge design and construction program for eighteen years.
 
Travelers along the Oregon Coast Highway will cross several striking bridges over rivers, bays, and inlets.  Most impressive is the mile-long span at Coos Bay, a graceful concrete and steel structure of rhythmic beauty that flows across the open water.  This bridge and others along Oregon’s “blue highways,” are McCullough’s legacy.  During his years with the OSHD, McCullough became one of the leading bridge engineers in the United States.  His work in Oregon—hundreds of structures including over 30 arched spans—was part of the state’s nationally recognized highway system at a time when the automobile first claimed its place in the life and character of America.
 
The pinnacle of McCullough’s career in Oregon was completion of five major bridges along the Oregon Coast Highway in 1936—the Yaquina Bay Bridge at Newport, the Alsea Bay Bridge at Waldport, the Siuslaw River Bridge at Florence, the Umpqua River Bridge at Reedsport, and the Coos Bay Bridge at Marshfield/North Bend.  McCullough was an impassioned promoter of state-sponsored bridge building that incorporated engineering efficiency with economic practicality and aesthetic appeal.  Many of his bridges are rich in architectural detail; the finest among them are embellished with classical, Gothic, and Art Deco/Moderne elements.
 
By 1932, McCullough took on the added administrative responsibilities of Assistant State Highway Engineer.  When design work was complete on the five major Oregon Coast Highway bridges in 1935, however, he headed off to Central America where he designed several structures for the Inter-American Highway.  These included suspension bridges over the Río Chiriqui in Panama, the Río Choluteca in Honduras, and the Río Tamasalupa in Guatemala.  When McCullough returned to Oregon in 1937, he left bridge designing for other administrative duties within the OSHD.  He died from a stroke in 1946, just weeks short of his 59th birthday.
 
In 1999, in honor of its 125th anniversary, ENR, once known as Engineering News-Record, published a list of the top people who had made outstanding contributions to the construction industry since 1874.  “There efforts,” ENR believed, “helped shape this nation and the world . . . by developing new analytical tools, equipment, engineering or architectural design.”  Among the ten bridge engineers who made the list was C. B. McCullough.  “These leading designers dared to span great lengths with the most elegant, constructible and economical solutions possible.”  The others included Othmar Ammann, James Eads, Robert Maillart, and David Steinman. 
 
In 2005, twelve of McCullough’s bridges were listed in the National Register of Historic Places.  These include the Willamette River (Oregon City) Bridge and eleven spans on the Oregon Coast Highway—the Wilson River Bridge, Depoe Bay Bridge, Rocky Creek Bridge, Yaquina Bay Bridge, Ten Mile Creek Bridge, Big Creek Bridge, Cape Creek Bridge, Siuslaw River Bridge, Umpqua River Bridge, Coos Bay Bridge, and Rogue River (Gold Beach) Bridge.
 

 

Highway Commissioners

 
 
T.H. Banfield
T.H. Banfield, Highway Commission Chairman from February 28, 1943 to March 31, 1950.  One of Oregon's all-time leaders in industry and contracting,  Mr. Banfield developed and produced the automatic coal stoker for an international market in the early 1930's.  He was credited with being the first Highway Commissioner to have had a working background in highway construction.  Parker and Banfield built some of the Coast Highway bridges.  As head of companies engaged in the manufacture of war materials, Mr. Banfield was a fitting successor to Chairman Henry Cabell.  During Mr. Banfield's tenure as Commission Chairman, efforts were bent on the second world war, on a domestic defense system, and the post-war boom.  It was from this period that much of Oregon's modern highway program stemmed.  His eight years of outstanding service to the commission were commemorated at his untimely death in the naming of Metropolitan Portland's Banfield Expressway.

 

 
Milo K. McIver
Milo K. McIver, Highway Commission member from April 1, 1950 to March 31, 1962.  Commission Chairman from April 1, 1958 to March 31, 1962.  Mr. McIver set a record for long service and accomplishment as a member and Chairman of the State Highway Commission.  His 12-year term exceeded by a year and a half that of Ben R. Chandler.  His facility in the fields of realty, property management, financing and industrial development were instrumental in converting nearly a billion dollars into nearly 1000 miles of new highway.  During his term as Chairman, Oregon let all the states in opening interstate freeways. 
 

 
Glenn Jackson
Glenn Jackson, Highway Commission member from April 27, 1959 to July 9, 1973, Chairman from March 31, 1962 to July 9, 1973.  Mr. Jackson is the son of W.L. Jackson, founder and publisher of the Albany Democrat-Herald.  After military service, Jackson resumed his career in electric power.  At the same time, he pursued additional interests, such as real estate, investment in ranching, with the result that he was regarded one of the State's most influential businessmen and one of its most vital promoters.  His acumen made him an apt successor to Milo McIver as Chairman of the Commission.  Accomplishments of his term have reflected his personal interest in land-use planning and conservation.
 
Following enactment of HB 3166, which created an Oregon Transportation Commission, Mr. Jackson was designated Chairman of the new Commission on July 10, 1973
 

Highway Engineers


 
Herbert Nunn
Herbert Nunn, State Highway Engineer, 1917 - 1923

 
 
 
 

 
Roy Klein
Roy A. Klein, State Highway Engineer, 1923 - 1932
 
 
 

  
Sam Baldock
 
R.H. "Sam" Baldock, State Highway Engineer, 1932 - 1956
 
Baldock, known as the "father of Oregon's modern highway system," was a pioneer in the use of blacktop surfaces for roads, using the surfaces in Oregon before they were adopted across the nation. He joined the Oregon State Highway Department in 1915 as a chainman, rising through the ranks to State Highway Engineer in 1932. Born in 1889 in Trinidad, CO, he attended New Mexico Military Institute and received his engineering degree from University of Colorado.
 

 
Forrest Cooper
 Forrest Cooper, State Highway Engineer, 1961- June, 1970
 

 
Larry Rulein
 Lawrence W. Rulien, State Highway Engineer, September. 1985 - January, 1988