Skip to main content Homepage

House Bill 2673

Name and Sex Designation Changes on a Birth Certificate

Starting January 1, 2018, people who were born in Oregon and who need to change their name or sex on their birth certificate to reflect their gender identity may do so by completing a notarized application rather than having to get a court order.

Status update: In 2018, the Center for Health Statistics processed 313 notarized OHA 2673 applications. A total of 203 notarized applications has been processed from January 1, 2019 through November 30, 2019.

This page provides more information on the new law and guidance for the new administrative process.

Watch our YouTube video for a brief summary of the law and process.

Frequently Asked Questions


Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how