Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Outdoor and Open Burning

Open burning means any burning in open, outdoor fires. This includes burning in barrels, outdoor burning when combustion air is not effectively controlled and combustion products that are not effectively vented through a stack or chimney. 

Depending on where you live, there may be bans or restrictions in place for open burning to keep air healthy to breath. Certain areas of the state, such as Oregon Department of Forestry fire protection districts, do not allow burning or may require permits. Cities, counties and local fire districts also have their own restrictions on open burning.

DEQ has created an interactive map that shows the statewide rules for burning restrictions based on type of burning. 
Can I Burn? Mapping Tool
In addition to using the map, always check with your local fire department before you burn to learn of any new local bans or restrictions.

Keep in mind that there are some things that are always prohibited from burning in Oregon. This page will help you better understand all topics related to outdoor and open burning including the types of burning, permits, and alternatives to burning to keep Oregon's air cleaner and safer for all.

Included on this page:
  • Can I burn?
  • Alternatives to burning
  • Prohibitions for burning
  • Burning permits
  • Burning complaints

Included on this page:
  • Agricultural
  • Demolition
  • Construction
  • Forest
  • Land clearing
  • Backyard burning
  • Recreational burning and barbeques

Included on this page:
  • Health impacts of burning
  • Fire safety
  • Regional offices
  • Fire districts
  • Other agency contacts


Contact your Regional DEQ Office if you have a question on current burn restrictions, receiving an open burn permit, local options for alternatives to burning, etc. 

  • Northwest region Administrative office: 503-229-5696 
  • Eastern Region Administrative office: 541-388-6146 
  • Western region Administrative office: 503-378-8240 
  • Environmental Complaints

For Statewide Open Burning policy or questions on OAR 340-264email DEQ