Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

DOC Frequently Asked Questions

Is offender info. online?

Is offender information available online?
The Oregon Offender Search (OOS) is a free public Web site that provides access to information on offenders in Oregon DOC custody. The Web site only displays information that is public in nature. To utilize OOS go to http://docpub.state.or.us/OOS/intro.jsf.
In addition, limited offender information (including state prison and community corrections information) is available through the Oregon VINE service on the Internet at www.vinelink.com. Select the State of Oregon and search by offender name or SID#  (state offender ID number).  VINELink provides offender name, date of birth, custody status and location.  You may also register for notification of any changes in an offender's custody status at this site or by calling 1-877-674-8463.
Back to Top

Sending mail to an inmate


There can be inherent risks in becoming involved with incarcerated felons including exposure to fraud or criminal activity. Should you have questions or concerns about solicitations for contact with an inmate, please contact the Oregon Department of Corrections at 503-945-9090 or DOC.Info@doc.state.or.us.
How do I send mail to an inmate?
Mail from friends and family to inmates is important both to the inmate and friends and family but also to the department. However, mail does present some problems for the department in terms of content that may threaten security or inmate rehabilitation. If mail rules are not followed, the mail will be returned to you. All mail is opened and reviewed by prison staff. 
As of November 2012, friends and families will have access to electronic messages through a third party vendor. The cost per message is less than the cost of a postage stamp. Electronic messages will also be subject to content restrictions spelled out in the Mail Rule.
When preparing and addressing envelopes, please remember the following:
  • Address the inmate's name as it appears on the Department of Corrections records (no nicknames) 
  • Include the inmate's SID number
  • The name of the prison is correct
  • Correct prison address
  • Return address must show the complete name and address of the sender;
  • Do not send unauthorized enclosures (blank paper, self-addressed stamped envelopes, pornography) 
  • Envelopes cannot be more than ¼” thick
  • Stickers, glitter, crayons, glue, musical or decorative cards are not allowed
  • Scent or lipstick on either the envelope or content is not allowed
The only items inmates may receive directly from friends or family are photos and letters. Books, magazines, and newspapers must be received from a publisher/distributor. All other items, such as games or food, are prohibited.
Should you have questions, please contact the mailroom at the facility where your loved one is housed. The following link is to the Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR 291-131) governing mail to inmates in its entirety: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_200/oar_291/291_131.html
Back to Top

Visiting an inmate

How do I visit an inmate?
Only people on an inmate´s visiting list may visit. Each inmate has a visiting list and it is he/she who takes the first step in putting someone on the list. More information about visiting is available on the Internet at OAR Div 127 Visiting (Inmate).
Visiting hours for each prison are posted on the Internet. Please go to Prisons and select the prison you are interested in visiting from the list.
For further information please go to visiting inmates in prison.
Back to Top

How do inmate phones work

Questions and answers about the inmate telephone system click here

Back to Top

Inmates' trust acct. (money)

The Oregon Department of Corrections accepts electronic deposits to inmate accounts.
To deposit funds electronically, click on one of the links below to be taken to the electronic deposit provider's web site.

Online or by phone (800) 574-JPAY - make payments or transfer funds through a computer online via the internet or by phone utilizing a credit or debit card.

In-person - make payments or transfer funds in-person with cash or debit card at convenient locations throughout the country. 

Access Corrections - DOC Deposit Rates

Access Secure Deposits takes all MasterCard and Visa debit and credit cards. 

Online or by phone - send money to an Oregon Department of Corrections offender online or over the phone:  1-866-345-1884.

In-person - make payments or transfer funds in-person with cash or debit card at convenient locations throughout the country.

To Deposit Funds through the Mail, Please
Use the Procedures Listed Below

Funds may be placed on an inmate's Central Trust account with either a money order or cashier's check. The Department of Corrections cannot accept cash or personal checks.
1. Make the money order/cashier's check payable to: "DOC" with the inmate's name and SID number.
Payable to: DOC for John Doe, SID #1234567.
You must write the name and mailing address of purchaser, including city, state, and zip code on the money order/cashier's check AND in the return address area of the mailing envelope.  PLEASE NOTE: This information must be current and legible or your item will be returned.
Mail the money order/cashier's check to:
Central Trust, Inmate's Name and SID Number
Oregon Department of Corrections
PO Box 14400
Salem, OR 97309-5077
The money will be put in the inmate's account upon receipt through the mail. 
To designate funds for Optical, Medical, Dental, or Trip, please indicate this clearly on the money order. 
We do NOT accept funds designated for Phone Accounts or TV's. 
Please do not include any letters or other personal items to the inmate in the envelope that you use to mail the money order/cashier's check. Letters, cards and/or pictures cannot be accepted and will be discarded.

Back to Top

Finding a sex offender

How can I find out if someone is a registered sex offender?
The Oregon State Police maintains a registry of sex offenders. ORS 181.592 authorizes the Oregon State Police to make information about registered sex offenders available to the public. ORS 181.592(4)(c) authorizes the release of information on certain sex offenders to be posted on a public web site.  The link to that site is http://sexoffenders.oregon.gov/ 
You may call their Sex Offender Registration Unit at (503) 378-3720 and ask for a list of sex offenders. You will be sent to a voice mail box. You must leave your name, address and the zip code of the area for which you are requesting a list, and they will mail to you the appropriate list. They usually respond within a day.
Also, to find out if the person with whom you have concern is currently under supervision, contact the local county Community Corrections office.

Back to Top

What's DOC's business strategy

What is the Oregon Department of Corrections' business strategy?
The Oregon Accountability Model (OAM) which has the ultimate goal of improving public safety.  The model ties together many concurrent and interralated efforts of the Department of Corrections and its partners into a cohesive strategy to reduce recidivism and influence inmates into becoming productive citizens.  The six components of the OAM are:  criminal risk factor assessment and case planning, staff-inmate interactions, work and programs, children and families, re-entry, and community supervision and programs.

Back to Top