Steps to be Prepared
Your community can prepare for tsunamis in many ways:
- Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center with advanced communications capability
Tsunami Inundation Map (TIM) series maps
- Develop a formal tsunami plan, which includes promoting public readiness and holding emergency exercises
- Survey residents to determine their level of tsunami awareness
- Conduct volunteer-based neighborhood education campaigns
- Organize and hold communitywide tsunami evacuation drills
- Provide local workshops targeting the business and lodging community, residents, and visitors
- Work with local schools on tsunami awareness and preparedness
For more information on how your community can prepare,
contact us or take a look at what
these communities have already done.
Development in Oregon's tsunami inundation zone: Information guide for developers and local government, DOGAMI Open-File Report O-03-05, 2003, by Dennis L. Olmstead, 17 p.
Tsunami preparedness guide for Oregon lodging facilities, 2003 (97 MB zipped file), DOGAMI Open-File Report O-03-04, 2003. Set of preparedness documents specifically geared toward lodging facilities.
Outreach and Education Resources