The Oregon Department of Transportation Library serves as a technical information resource for our agency, as well as providing services to other state, county and local government agencies, and the general public. The collection includes a comprehensive selection of transportation-related publications, journals, and standards, including titles from American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Transportation Research Board, Federal Highway Association, and American Society of Civil Engineers. In addition, the library houses the ODOT History Center, which offers an extensive collection of historic photos, reports, maps and documents covering the 100+ year history of the agency.
The ODOT Library provides:
- Professional and technical reference books and manuals.
- Technical information and specialized transportation research assistance.
- Interlibrary loan services for items not found in the ODOT Library.
- Online access to standards and journals (ODOT employees only), and databases for research assistance.
- Study guides and resources for FE and PE exams.
- Reference materials, including Oregon Laws (1911-current), Oregon Blue Book (1911-current), and ODOT biennial and annual reports.
The library is part of the ODOT Research Section, located at the Mill Creek Building in Salem, 555 13th St NE, Salem, OR 97301.
The ODOT Library catalog allows you to search the library collections. Items can be sent by shuttle or mail; simply phone or email to request a loan. Items not found in the collection can generally be obtained from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan.
ODOT Library Catalog
PE, FE and FS Resources and Study Guides
Access to these resources is provided to ODOT employees only. They are IP authenticated, so can only be viewed from ODOT machines.
ASTM Compass Portal: This ASTM/AASHTO package allows access to current and historical ASTM standards, as well major AASHTO publications. (View titles). You will need to register for the first use only.
8/16/2021. ASTM Compass Portal has made changes that require a password reset. You should have received an email with a link to update your email - if you did not respond before the link expired, you can still reset your password here . The link above to the portal has been updated, so please change any previously bookmarked versions. If you have questions, contact Laura Wilt at email@example.com.
Other AASHTO PDF Titles (Intranet)
ASCE Library: American Society of Civil Engineers - Full-text articles from 33 journal titles 1983 - current, and conference proceedings 1996-current. No log-in is required from ODOT machines.
Transportation Research Record: the Journal of the Transportation Research Board: Sage Publishing now provides the platform for this journal, including full-text content 1996-current. Older hard-copy volumes can be accessed through the ODOT Library. No log-in is required from ODOT machines; articles can be downloaded from the website.
TRB Conference Proceedings: TRB is no longer providing online access to the Annual Meeting proceedings. Please contact the ODOT Library for conference papers.
Other TRB Journal Series
- LibGuides: LibGuides offer a platform for gathering and organizing resources for research requests. Some of these guides were created by the ODOT librarian in response to specific requests from within the agency; others were prepared by other transportation librarians - several as a group effort. LibGuides are offered through a subscription negotiated by the FHWA transportation libraries pooled fund study.
- Literature Reviews:
- Copyright Informational Brochure for State Employees: This brochure gives basic information on copyright, and what it means specifically for public servants. It also contains information about Creative Commons licenses.
- TRID: TRID is an integrated database maintained by TRB. It incorporates the records of TRB’s Transportation Research Information Services Database and the OECD’s Joint Transport Research Centre’s International Transport Research Documentation Database. Current research projects are listed in addition to published transportation reports and resources.
- Transportation Research Thesaurus: The Transportation Research Thesaurus is a tool to improve the indexing and retrieval of transportation information. The thesaurus covers all modes and aspects of transportation. Its purpose is to provide a common and consistent language between producers and users of transportation information.
- Custom Department of Transportation Google Search: This search allows you to search the websites of all 50 state DOTs and D.C.
- Transportation Meta Search: Combines the DOT search with searches across public transit agencies, university transportation centers, LTAP and TTAP centers, and metropolitan planning organizations.
- Oregon State Library: The State Library State Employee Information Center provides access to the State Library catalog, as well as databases and resources aimed at helping state employees do their jobs. Resources include Scopus search engine, O'Reilly collection of electronic publications and tutorials, journal and newspaper databases, and more.
- Google Scholar: Google Scholar allows you to search scholarly works, including articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.