About the Farm Direct Nutrition Program
The Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program is a state-administered federal nutrition program that brings more than one million dollars to Oregon farmers each year. Farm Direct checks are issued to families enrolled in the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) nutrition program and to income-eligible seniors to spend with authorized farmers selling directly to consumers.
The green $4.00 checks are specifically for locally grown, unprocessed fruits, vegetables and cut culinary herbs. These checks are valid from June 1 through November 30 each year.
Farm Direct Shopper Directory is updated each spring, and locations may change or be added throughout the program season.
Apply to be an authorized farmer or participating farmers market
If you are new to the Farm Direct Nutrition Program, complete an online application for first time FDNP farmers and farmers markets. (Online application for the 2023 season will be live on April 1, 2023)
If you were a participating farmer or farmers market last year, the Farm Direct team at Oregon WIC will contact you by email the first week of April to update your information or reapply as needed.
Authorized farmers accept Farm Direct checks for the sale of their fresh fruit, vegetables, and/or cut culinary herbs.
- Own, lease, rent, or sharecrop land to grow, cultivate, or harvest crops on that land in Oregon or a bordering county in another state, and;
- Sell their own produce at a farmers market or farm stand.
Before accepting Farm Direct checks,
- Complete and submit an application;
- Participate in a brief orientation via video call;
- Sign a three-year agreement, and;
- Receive an authorization letter and program materials packet in the mail from the state.
Farmers markets participation
Authorized farmers markets are listed as shopping locations in the program's broadly promoted online directory.
To qualify, a
farmers market must:
- Meet on a consistent basis at defined locations over the course of the season;
- Have at least three market vendors over the course of the season who would be eligible as a Farm Direct farmer (see above), and;
- Have at least one Farm Direct authorized farmer available during all markets June-November.
To be listed in the online directory,
farmers markets must:
- Complete and submit an application each season;
- Participate in a brief video call if a newly participating market or new market manager;
- Sign a one-year agreement, and:
- Receive a program materials packet in the mail from the state.
Reference materials for farmers and farmers markets
Farmer information flyer (PDF) - Program updates addressed to farmers regarding the current season.
Farmer agreement (PDF) - Participating farmers agree to this information when authorized to participate in the program. A signed copy will be provided to the farmer in their set-up packet.
Farmers Market-specific materials
Farmers Market Agreement (PDF) - Participating farmers market managers agree to this information when authorized to participate in the program. A signed copy will be provided to the market representative in their market's set-up packet.
Contact for farmers and farmers markets
Phone: 877-807-0889, option 2 (toll-free)
Mail: Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program, P.O. Box 14450, Portland, OR 97293-0450