Applying to be a VISTA Host Site
Do you want to increase your ability to end poverty in your community? Could you use help tracking donors,
recruiting volunteers, or developing other systems that build your capacity to meet the needs of the low-income
community? Or perhaps you have a dream project that addresses a community need but not the resources to
get it off the ground.
Public, private, or faith-based nonprofit organizations, as well as, local, state, tribal or federal agencies can become an AmeriCorps VISTA host site. Applications for the Oregon Health Authority VISTA Partnership Project are handled by the Public Health Division in partnership with the Corporation State Offices.
Host sites identify significant program level work that will help build local capacity to alleviate poverty and improve the public health. Sites host AmeriCorps VISTA national service members each for one year, often for three successive years. OHA VISTAs join one of two teams, beginning their year of service in March or August. Host sites provide a financial match, direct the project, supervise and mentor the VISTA, and provide necessary administrative support to complete the goals and objectives of the project.
AmeriCorps VISTA members spend one year in full-time service to address the needs of low-income communities and improve public health. All projects focus on building permanent public health infrastructure in communities to help them more effectively bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Host-site recruitment for the April 2019-2020 OHA VISTA team is now open. See below for application materials.
Interested in learning more?
Sign up to receive announcements about host-site recruitment!
Overview of roles
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, no later than April 30, 2019. Please express intent to apply to Project Coordinator as soon as possible.
- Project approved by OHA no later than 5/6/2019
- April 1 - May 10: VAD revision process
- DUE after approval notification: OHA VISTA site application opportunity listing (word)
- May 6 - May 15: Opportunity listing revision process
- DUE May 15: Submit final opportunity listing
- May 24: Position posted to AmeriCorps application website
- May 28: VISTA member recruitment begins
- July 24: OHA VISTA Supervisor Training (Portland)
- DUE July 24: On-site orientation and training plan (OSOT) (see resources below)
- August 19 - Augst 23: VISTA members attend OHA orientation
- August 26: VISTA member first day on site
- DUE September 27: Detailed workplan (see resources below)
Danielle Brown, MPA HA
OHA VISTA Project Coordinator