Smart meters allow electric utilities to accurately record customer usage, provide usage information, and provide a more reliable utility grid, which ultimately reduces costs for customers. The Oregon Public Utility Commission (PUC) reviews smart meter installations and costs as part of smart grid reports and general rate case proceedings.
Contact your electric utility service provider for more information.
- Idaho Power – 800-488-6151
- Pacific Power – 888-221-7070
- PGE – 800-542-8818
Pacific Power Smart Meter Transition
Pacific Power is in the process of upgrading meters throughout its Oregon service territory through 2019. Installation of digital, broadcasting meters was approved by the PUC in late 2016, after Pacific Power demonstrated the upgrade would improve reliability and reduce costs for customers. The PUC has encouraged public and stakeholder involvement throughout the multi-year meter upgrade process.
Opt-out Option & Fee
The PUC has approved an opt-out option for customers who want to keep their manually read meters. To keep the cost of standard utility service fair and affordable for all customers, those that want choices beyond the standard service are typically asked to pay the costs they incur.
In response to customer concerns about the $36 opt-out fee, the PUC asked Pacific Power to consider opt-out options that required fewer manual reads. In March 2019, the Commission approved a decrease in the number of meter reads to three annually for smart meter opt-out customers who register for Pacific Power’s Equal Payment Plan to $9 per month.
In December 2019, the Commission reviewed Pacific Power’s filing to reduce the monthly meter reading fee for opt-out customers. The Commission approved the following:
- Approved Pacific Power’s request to reduce the meter reading fee from $36 to $10 each month for smart meter opt-out customers on a monthly meter reading program.
- Declined Pacific Power’s request to eliminate the triannual meter reading option for opt-out customers and direct Pacific Power to reduce the cost of that option from $9 to $3 per month.
- Directed Pacific Power to submit a more developed proposal to the PUC to consider transitioning opt-out customers away from the triannual meter reading option.
Pacific Power smart meter opt-out customers must register for Pacific Power's Equal Payment Plan to take advantage of the reduced rate. Call 888-221-7070 for details or for additional information.
The PUC’s public process & decision-making timeline
- PUC Fact Sheet – smart meter decision-making timeline
- UM 1667 Staff Report for December 6, 2016 Public Meeting – this report details cost estimates and the long-running Smart Grid process.
- UE 322 Staff Report for March 7, 2017 Public Meeting – features PUC Staff recommendations and conditions for the project.
- At the Nov. 6, 2018 Public Meeting - Pacific Power responded to questions the Commission had received from the public. Watch this meeting or view Pacific Power’s responses to frequently asked questions.
Questions or comments?
To share a public comment, ask further questions or address billing or other issues, contact the PUC’s Consumer Services Team by email or call 800-522-2404 or 503-378-6600.