Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Landscape Maintenance
Landscape maintenance is unregulated in Oregon and does not require a license with the State of Oregon.  However, you should check with your city or county for local license or permit requirements.  You should also check with the Secretary of State regarding registering your business name.  
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of work requires a license?
     Work NOT REQUIRING a license
         Some pruning
         Spreading bark dust
         Adjusting sprinkler heads
         Programming irrigation controllers
         Planting of outdoor pots and containers when the pots and containers can
           be moved without the use of power equipment when empty or filled
     Work REQUIRING a license
        Plan or install new plantings or creating new planting areas
        Install, repair or maintain irrigation systems with the use
          of  compressed air 
        Plan, install, maintain or repair arbors, decks, patios, driveways, fences, retaining
          walls, walkways, landscape edging or ornamental water features
        Install, maintain or repair drainage systems and ornamental water features
Can I advertise for landscape maintenance?  
Yes.  You may advertise for any type of maintenance work.  Advertising for landscape work requiring a license as outlined above is not allowed.
Do I need a Landscape Contracting Business license to do landscape maintenance?
Landscape maintenance is not regulated by the State of Oregon.  However, you should check with your city or county for possible local license or permit requirements.
May I do actual landscaping construction work without a landscape contracting business
A landscape maintenance business may perform a limited amount of "casual, minor, or inconsequential" work (see definition below) if all of the following criteria below is met:
         Performing ongoing maintenance work for a regular customer during the year
         Limited to $500 worth (labor and materials) of this type of landscape work per job site, per year,
PLEASE NOTE:  You CANNOT advertise for this work since it can only be performed for existing customers.
Casual, minor or inconsequential means:

         Replacement planting of shrubs, vines, trees and nursery stock which are similar
            in habit and culture
         Replacement of existing lawns
         Planting of annuals, perennials and bulbs in existing beds
         Non-concrete landscape edging
         Three or fewer malfunctioning sprinkler heads with heads of the same or of a
           similar type and hydraulic equivalency per job site similar type and hydraulic
           equivalency per job site 
       What if I am licensed with the Construction Contractors Board (CCB)?  
Licensees with the CCB and LCB may both plan, install, maintain or repair arbors, 
       decks patios, driveways, fences, retaining walls, walkways, landscape edging or
       ornamental water features.

      CCB contractors may also perform limited landscape work on residential property for 
      which the contractor is under contract for the construction of a new dwelling.  Irrigation 
      work is not allowed under this exception.  The total value of landscaping cannot exceed 
      $3,800 per residential dwelling.
May I repair irrigation/sprinkler systems if they are already installed?  
May I prune or remove trees?  
The Construction Contractors Board (CCB) has jurisdiction over tree work.  Please contact them for information regarding exemptions.
May I plant trees?  
No.  You may replace the tree if you meet the requirements listed in question under the casual, minor, inconsequential definition above.
What if I’m asked to replace a section of lawn? Do I need to be licensed?
You must meet the requirements listed above and it must fall under the casual, minor or inconsequential definition.  You may do patch repair work to fill-in or even-out the lawn area for a regular maintenance customer.
Can I spread gravel for a walkway when it is part of the maintenance work?
You can “refresh” the gravel of an existing path or walkway.  You cannot create a new walkway or install edging.
What if I only design landscapes and I don’t install?
Landscape design work does not require a license as long as the designs do not include construction details or specifications. 
Can I subcontract to have the landscaping work performed?
No.  You would be required to have a LCB or CCB license in order to arrange and contract for the installation of the work.
Do I need to be licensed to apply pesticides? 
The Department of Agriculture issues Pesticide Applicators Licenses.  You can contact them at 503-986-4550 for their requirements.


If you would like to apply for either your landscape construction professional license or the landscape contracting business license, you may download the applications and qualification from the forms section of our website.