Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Change a Marriage Record

In-person customer assistance to change vital records is not available.

Amendment order processing times vary depending on amendment type and age of record. Click here for current estimations.

If you submitted a request and processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed represents the verification of receipt. It also helps you estimate the time remaining before your request is processed.

  • Requests are reviewed and processed in the order they were received. If there are any issues with your request, you will be contacted at that time.

We are working diligently to reduce the turnaround times. If your request has not been processed after the current estimation times, please contact us at or call (971) 673-1147.

We appreciate your patience, thank you.

Under Oregon law county marriage offices have primary responsibility for issuing marriage licenses and certificates. Once filed at the local county marriage office, certificates are forwarded to the State Vital Records office to create a permanent statewide file.

All requests to change an Oregon marriage certificate must be approved by the county marriage office that issued the license.

  • Contact the local county marriage office that issued the marriage certificate to request a correction.
  • If a county marriage office approves an amendment or correction, they request the State Vital Records Office to correct the marriage record in the statewide file. No amendment fee is required for these corrections.
  • If you received a certified marriage certificate from the State Vital Records Office within the last year and the record has been corrected, it may be returned for a free replacement certificate.  You must return it within a year of the issue date.

If you know the local county marriage office has requested the Oregon vital records office to correct your marriage certificate, you may check the status of the amendment by emailing: