DEQ is recruiting five to seven ATSAC members with expertise in toxicology and/or toxicity assessment; environmental and/or atmospheric chemistry; and epidemiology/biostatistics [OAR 340-247-0050(3)]. Once a candidate meets one of these threshold qualifications, rules direct DEQ to give consideration to experts with additional specialization in one or more the following fields: inhalation, reproductive, or developmental toxicology; multi-pathway exposure; bioaccumulation; environmental public health; neonatal and children's health; medicine; or health of vulnerable populations.
DEQ is currently doing outreach with federal and state agencies and professional organizations to find ATSAC members. DEQ will prioritize recruiting ATSAC members that are affiliated with the following authoritative sources used for Oregon DEQ's inhalation toxicity reference values listed in OAR 340-247-0030:
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- United States Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR).
- California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA).
DEQ plans to recruit the remaining ATSAC members from the following groups:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences-funded academic centers.
- Society of Toxicology's Risk Assessment Specialty Section and Occupational and Public Health Specialty Section professional members.
- Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (PEHSU) staff.
DEQ seeks to incorporate anti-racism, equity, inclusion and accessibility practices into the recruitment for the ATSAC. DEQ encourages qualified applicants who identify as black, indigenous and people of color and people with disabilities to express interest in joining the ATSAC. DEQ also encourages qualified applicants with environmental justice or health equity expertise to express interest.
People interested in becoming a member of the ATSAC are encouraged to fill out an interest form
by 5 p.m. PST on Tuesday, May 31, 2022. A Google account is required to sign-in and fill out the online interest form. Email Apollonia Goeckner
if you do not have access to a Google account.