Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Disaster Debris Management

Guidelines for local governments

DEQ plays a central role in the disposal of disaster debris. Reimbursement by the federal government for costs incurred by public agencies in response to an emergency may be hampered if state and local agencies have not coordinated and communicated with DEQ on the location and handling of disaster debris. Letting DEQ know where disaster debris can go in your area will help us let residents know where to take their wastes.

For best management practices in the handling and sorting of storm debris, please see:

Get DEQ approval for disaster debris sites

Existing permitted solid waste facilities, transfer stations, landfills, material recovery facilities and compost facilities may need to make changes to their operations in response to a disaster. For help identifying and pre-approving a site in your county, please contact the appropriate DEQ office.

Eastern Region Office, The Dalles 

Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco and Wheeler counties

  • Solid Waste Permit Coordinator: 541-298-7257

Northwest Region Office, Portland

Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Tillamook and Washington counties

  • Solid Waste Permit Coordinator: 503-229-5353; Toll-free in Oregon, 1-800-452-4011 x5353

Western Region Office, Salem

Benton, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties

  • Solid Waste Permit Coordinator: 503-378-5047; Toll-free in Oregon, 1-800-349-7677
DEQ may be able to help permitted facilities temporarily increase the volume of acceptable wastes allowed by the DEQ solid waste permit to accommodate disaster related debris, allow permitted facilities to set up areas for collection of disaster related wastes, and provide temporary authorization to accept wastes not normally allowed in the solid waste permit.

For temporary facilities

DEQ can issue temporary Solid Waste Letters of Authorization for temporary facilities with a very short turn-around time. Having the letter of authorization helps the facility comply with state law which can impact the ability to get FEMA reimbursements.

DEQ disaster waste management contacts

Debris management, including setting up temporary handling sites and hazardous waste collection at those sites 

Eastern Region
Ron Doughten, 541-298-7256

Northwest Region
Audrey O'Brien, 503-229-5072

Western Region
Brian Fuller, 541-687-7327

Hazardous materials management

Eastern Region
Ron Doughten, 541-298-7256

Northwest Region
Dave Kunz, 503-229-5336

Western Region
Bart Collinsworth, 503-378-5071

To report a hazardous spill

Oregon Emergency Management