Skip to main content Homepage

Your Rights as an Oregon Health Plan Member

Learn your rights and what to do if you do not agree with decisions, services or treatment you receive as an Oregon Health Plan (OHP) member.

OHP rights and responsibilities

These Oregon Administrative Rules list the rights and responsibilities you have as an Oregon Health Plan (OHP) member:

Your rights

Disability rights

The Americans with Disabilities (ADA) law makes sure that people with disabilities get full and equal access to health care services and facilities. People with disabilities have a right to reasonable changes to gain equal access.

Non-discrimination and civil rights

OHP must respect the dignity and the diversity of all members and the communities where they live. By law, OHA and all its providers and plans must treat everyone fairly. To learn more, visit OHA’s Civil Rights page.

Language access

Everyone has a right to learn about Oregon Health Authority (OHA) programs and services in a way they can understand. To learn more, read OHA’s Language Access policy.

Rights of minors

Minor Rights and Access to Care (English) (Spanish) tells you the types of services minors can get on their own, and how their health information may be shared.

Complaints and appeals

Learn what to do when you:

  • Do not agree with a decision to deny payment for your health care services
  • Want to file a complaint about OHP services
  • Want to file a complaint about an Emergency Medical Services provider, Trauma Systems provider, or health care facility

Making decisions about your health care

There are three types of forms you can complete to make sure providers know about the types of treatment you do and do not want:

Advance directive

This form lets you decide what type of care you want before you need it. You can also name a person to direct your health care. This person is called your "health care representative."

Physican Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST)

This is a medical order completed by your doctor. It tells other providers the types of treatment you do and do not want in an emergency.

Declaration for Mental Health Treatment

This form tells what kind of mental health treatment you want if you cannot make decisions during a mental health crisis. You can also name a person to make decisions about your treatment.

Your responsibilities

Report changes

Report changes to your name, address, household, income, other health coverage or immigration status as soon as possible. Learn about the types of changes to report.

Report Medicaid fraud

If you think an Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid) member or provider is misusing Medicaid/Oregon Health Plan programs and benefits, report it right away.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how