Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Asking for Fee-for-Service (Open Card) Oregon Health Plan (OHP) Coverage

When Can You Ask for Fee-for-Service (Open Card) OHP?

We want your coordinated care organization (CCO) to coordinate your medical, dental and behavioral health care. But you can ask for fee-for-service OHP if you have a serious medical reason to see a provider outside your CCO's network.

Questions to Ask Before You Ask for Fee-for-Service OHP:

I​f not, please talk to them about your health care needs.  Call the customer service number on your CCO member ID. You can also find your CCO’s phone number.​

  • ​Your CCO is your first contact whenever you need help getting care. 
  • OHP wants your CCO to coordinate your medical, dental and behavioral health care.
  • Your CCO has care coordinators who can help you get the care you need.​
  • Your CCO must help you find ways to get the care you need within your CCO.

​If you don't know, ask. 

If they only work with local CCOs, getting fee-for-service OHP will not help you get the care you need.​

If you only want fee-for-service OHP so that you can keep seeing a behavioral health provider:

  • If approved, you will no longer be enrolled in a CCO for any of your care.
  • This means you can see your fee-for-service behavioral health provider. But you will need to find new medical, dental and pharmacy providers who accept fee-for-service OHP.

​Your CCO can cover some or none your care, depending on the type of provider you need for fee-for-service coverage. 

  • If you need a fee-for-service dental provider, your CCO can still cover medical and behavioral health care.
  • If you need a fee-for-service medical provider, your CCO can still cover behavioral health and dental care.
  • If you need a fee-for-service behavioral health provider, you will no longer be in your CCO. You will need to get all care (medical, behavioral health and dental) from fee-for-service providers.

If You Are American Indian or Alaska Native:

American Indian and Alaska Native members can join, change or leave their CCO at any time. (You will still need to choose a CCO for dental care.) You can fill out the OHP 720 form to start or end open card OHP. Send it to OHA.

If You Are a Medicare member:

Members with Medicare can change or leave the CCO they use for medical care at any time. Medicare members must use a CCO for dental and mental health care. Contact your local Aging and People with Disabilities office if you want to change or leave a CCO for medical care.

You Have a Serious Medical Reason to Not Be in a CCO:

You will need to get proof from your provider that you are:

  • Getting care from a provider who is not in your local CCO, and
  • Changing to a CCO provider would negatively affect your health.

That provider needs to ask OHP for app​roval. Your provider will need to send OHA forms and proof that you need temporary fee-for-service coverage to stay healthy. This includes:

Your provider will talk to OHP about the request. 

  • If you want updates about the request, you will need to ask your provider.
  • If your provider wants updates, they will need to ask OHP Provider Services (800-336-6016).

You will get a letter.

  • The letter will say when this coverage starts and ends.
  • The coverage will last from six to 12 months.

​If you still need temporary open card coverage after your 6 to 12 month approval period ends:

  • Your provider will need to send a new request to OHA to extend the coverage.
  • Your provider needs to do this at least 30 days before​ your approval period ends.
  • Otherwise, OHP will enroll you in your local CCO the day after your temporary open card coverage ends.


Member Resources

OHP contacts

OHP handbooks

Words to know


We want to make sure you have the information you need. 

 Email us 

 Call 1-800-273-0557

Talk to your CCO