Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Frequently Asked Questions
How can I visit a patient at Oregon State Hospital?
Information regarding visitation may be obtained by contacting a patient's social worker. The Oregon State Hospital Communication Center (503-945-2800 or 800-544-7078) can assist with general information and in contacting the patient's social worker. A visitor's application must be submitted and approved before a visit can be arranged. The Communication Center can also provide information about security procedures and rules about bringing items for patients. In Portland, call 503-731-8620 for general information.
How can I volunteer to help at Oregon State Hospital?
Volunteers are used in many areas of the hospital. A volunteer application is required, and a criminal history check must be completed. For details, contact Jeff Jessel, Volunteer Services, at 503-945-2892 (Salem) or 503-731-8678 (Portland). Volunteer Services also accepts donations to the hospital.
Who provides treatment to patients?
Treatment is provided by psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, vocational services workers, pastoral services staff, rehabilitation therapists (occupational therapists, therapeutic recreation specialists, music therapists, art therapists, and physical therapists),dentists, mental health therapists, and mental health specialists. The hospital provides practicum opportunities, internships, and residencies for professionals from those disciplines. Individual disciplines may be contacted at the phone numbers found below.
Can patients attend church?
Weekly church services are provided by Protestant and Catholic chaplains in chapels located on both campuses.
Can patients work?
The Vocational Services Department coordinates prevocational groups, bench assembly, wood products fabrication, and a patient pay program. Services are individualized to meet the needs of each referred patient. Patients are able to gain work skills, and prepare for employment in the community.
How can I apply for a job at Oregon State Hospital?
Job announcements and application forms are available in the Human Resources Department at the hospital. The Human Resources Department is located on the second floor of the Kirkbride Building at 2600 Center St. NE. For more information call the Human Resources Department at 503-945-2815. Information about employment is also available on the State of Oregon Jobs Page. http://www.oregonjobs.org/
Are interpreters available for patients who do not speak English?
Interpreters are available to all patients who need language or hearing impairment assistance. Written materials are provided in languages other than English, and other alternate forms of communication are available.
Can patients carry money at the hospital?
For security reasons, the amount of money that patients are allowed to carry is limited. Patients can deposit money in hospital trust accounts, and make withdrawals as needed.
How can I find out about former patients of the hospital?
Inquiries about former patients can be directed to the Medical Records Department, at 503-945-2976. Due to confidentiality requirements, information about former patients can only be released to appropriate parties, and in most cases a release of information form is required.
Where can I file a concern or complaint about the hospital?
In general, concerns or complaints should be directed to the Associate Director for Consumer and Family Services, Deborah Howard, at 503-945-7132. Another option is to contact the Long Term Care Ombudsman Office at 800-522-2602.