Oregon is applying to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for a new five-year Medicaid waiver. The waiver is also known as the 1115 Demonstration. The purpose of the waiver is to reform our state’s Medicaid program. Medicaid is a state and federal program. The Oregon Health Plan (OHP) is the name of Oregon’s Medicaid program. OHP delivers health care to people who have low income.
A federal waiver creates an opportunity for OHP to:
- Build on our state’s health care transformation success, and
- Create a more equitable system.
Oregon will apply for a new waiver for the years 2022 through 2027.
About the 2022-2027 Waiver
In 2021, to continue to transform OHP, the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) is developing:
- The vision
- The goals
- The strategies
- The application
Oregon’s 2022-2027 waiver will seek to build on Oregon’s strong history of innovation in health care, and make progress toward:
- Creating a more equitable, culturally- and linguistically- responsive health care system,
- Helping contain costs by providing quality health care,
- Investing in equitable and culturally appropriate health care, and
- Ensuring everyone can get the coverage they need.
Presentations about the 2022-2027 Waiver
OHP Medicaid 1115 Waiver Workshops
Presentations to Oregon Health Policy Board:
Presentation to Medicaid Advisory Committee:
Presentation to Health Equity Committee:
Meetings with community partners:
Public input process
Let us hear from you and tell us your thoughts! This waiver can further improve the Oregon Health Plan. Information about key phases in the waiver process is below. This includes opportunities to take part in the process.
You can also email your input at any time to
- OHA expects to post the draft application in August 2021.
- Once the draft is posted, you can make comments through late October 2021.
You can view the dates, times and where public meetings are taking place below or in
OHA's calendar of 2021 meetings. OHA will share information about the waiver, or notes from past discussions.
OHP 1115 Medicaid Waiver Workshops
OHA will present a series of workshops focusing on Oregon’s upcoming Medicaid waiver application to continue to transform the OHP in coming years.
The workshops will be divided into a three-part series in which participants will learn about the waiver process, our state’s goals for this waiver and give input and feedback on the various policy options being considered.
Everyone has a right to know about and use Oregon Health Authority (OHA) programs and services. OHA provides free help. Some examples of the free help OHA can provide are:
- Sign language and spoken language interpreters
- Written materials in other languages
- Large print
- Audio and other formats
If you need help or have questions,
please email us.