Pharmacy Technician License Information
*Application processing time is approximately 4-6 weeks, but may be longer depending on the circumstances.
*All fees are non-refundable
Please note: The Oregon State Police reports that the criminal history records processing unit is experiencing slower than usual return times. This is significantly impacting average application processing times.
This means that:
- Pharmacy Technician licenses issued between 7/01/2020 - 6/30/2021 will expire 6/30/2022
- Pharmacy Technician licenses issued between 7/01/2021 - 6/30/2022 will expire 6/30/2023
This allows pharmacy technicians more than a year, but no more than two years to become nationally certified and apply for/obtain the Board’s Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician license.
*You must take and pass a national certification exam and apply to become licensed as a Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician prior to your expiration date to continue working as a technician.
Pharmacy Technicians and Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technicians must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED per OAR 855-025-0005(1)
Apply for Pharmacy Technician Licensure
to "register"/create a new personal account, or log into an existing eGov account to apply for a Pharmacy Technician license.
- Fees: $141.25
- $100.00 application fee
- $41.25 national fingerprint background check fee
- An original 2”x 2” passport/visa style photograph taken within the past 6 months
- Personal Identification - Either a copy of your birth certificate AND a color copy of the front and back of your state issued photo ID OR a color copy of your signed U.S. Passport.
- If you have been arrested or cited for violations of the law other than simple traffic infractions such as speeding or parking tickets, the following items are required to be submitted online:
- A written description of the incidents that led to each arrest/charge and the surrounding circumstances
- Copies of all police reports
- Court documents
- Other related documents
Once your completed application, licensing fees and fingerprint processing fee* have been received and reviewed by the Board, the instructions to complete your fingerprints will be available to download in "Documents" of your online eGov account. Please allow 2-3 business days for the instructions to be available for download.
*There is an additional $12.50 fee that is required when you schedule your fingerprint appointment at a Fieldprint facility near you. Your fingerprints will be electronically submitted to the Oregon State Police and the results will be sent to the Oregon Board of Pharmacy.
*Please allow an average of 30 days for the Oregon State Police to process your fingerprints.
To be licensed as a Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician, you must:
*Testing is NOT offered by the Oregon Board of Pharmacy, you must contact PTCB or NHA for all information on testing and certification.
- Have a high school diploma or GED at the time the Board issues the license;
- Take and pass a national certification exam through PTCB or NHA;
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) ptcb.org or call (800) 363-8012
- National Healthcareer Association (ExCPT) nhanow.com or call (800) 499-9092
Once you have received your national certification, you must submit an additional application for a Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician license. If it has been more than 12 months since you completed a national fingerprint-based background check, you will be required to complete the background check process again.
We recommend that you submit the complete application at least 4 weeks before your current license expires.
*You WILL NOT be allowed to work as a Pharmacy Technician after your license expires unless you have received your Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician license.
Laws & Rules
Resources & Forms