Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Operations and Maintenance - FAQ
Q:  If I lose something on the Capitol Mall Plaza, whom do I contact?
A:  The O & M Office is the Lost and Found Headquarters.  To report something lost or found, contact the O & M Administration Office at (503) 378-3664.
Q: Will DAS manage office renovations or other projects for agencies in DAS owned or operated buildings?
A: Yes, we have Project Managers that can assist you or completely manage a project for you.  If it is a tenant requested project, there is a fee involved for this service.  See the DAS Price List of Goods and Services for the hourly rate.
Q: If I need to request use of the Capitol State Park grounds, whom do I contact?
A: As of March 1, 2009, the Oregon Parks & Recreation Department, Oregon State Fair Division, is handling requests for use of the Capitol State Park and park grounds. For use of the Capitol State Park or park grounds, please contact an Event Representative at (503) 947-3247.

Caution sign
Q:  What type of chemicals do you use to clean our building and shampoo carpets?
A:  We are using sustainable earth products that perform as well as competing products which are safe for humans and the environment.
Q:  If I have extra items to dispose of or we are cleaning out our refrigerator, do you want us to contact you for an extrabarrel?
A:  Yes, please call your Building Contact person (if available) or call O&M at (503) 378-3664.  We are trying to prevent job injuries due to heavy trash and recycle barrels.
Q:  Can I have someone remove the ceiling lights over my work station to reduce the glare on my work space?
A:  It is possible that we can do this for you.  This should be directed to your Building Contact person.

Services and Repair
hands shaking
Q:  Who do I call to place a request for work whether it is to move something I can’t move, hang an item, paint an empty office, or report a building problem?
A:  This should be directed to your Building Contact person (if available), or call the O & M Administration Office at (503) 378-3664.  If needed, an estimate will be provided for the requested work.  The completed estimate will be sent to the requestor for approval by an authorized person and then returned to O & M.  The work will then be scheduled.
Q: Who do I contact if I observe a water leak?
A:  This should be directed to your Building Contact person (if available), or call O & M at (503) 378-3664.
Q:  If I am stuck in an elevator and I don’t know which one, can you get me out?
A:  The elevator emergency button automatically contacts an answering service, telling the answering service which building the elevator is located in and which elevator is having the problem.  The answering service then contacts O & M during the day and the Elevator Contractor after normal business hours.  During normal business hours, O & M will immediately dispatch an O & M staff person to assist the caller.  The elevator company will be called to respond to assist the caller in getting out of the elevator safely.
Q:  If I accidentally drop an item down an elevator shaft, can you retrieve it for me?
A:  Contact the O & M Section at (503) 378-3664.  We will try to retrieve your item at no charge.  If the elevator contractor is called to retrieve your item, a fee might be charged.
Back to the Top

Someone Raking
Q:  What time of year does the Landscape Crew typically fertilize the lawns?
A:  Early to mid fall while the plants are still actively growing and again in late spring or early summer if the lawn needs it.  We assess the need for fertilizer based on plant health and may opt to use a full, half rate, or none at all in the spring as needed.  This is part of our new sustainable practice, to use chemicals as required.
Q:  When do the decorative fountains begin operating?
A:  They operate from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, from July 1st through Labor Day (September).
Q:  When are the roses trimmed on the Capitol Grounds?
A:  In the fall, usually November 1st – 15th, before the winter winds and hard freezes set in.  In the spring, it is best to wait until after President’s Day or February 15th to avoid cane damage.
Back to the Top

Building Security
Security - credit istockphoto.com
Q:  How do I request a key or key card to access an area or to replace one that is no longer working correctly?
A:  A Key Card/Key Coordinator has been assigned to authorize and order key cards and keys for your area.  To ensure internal procedures have been followed, contact your Manager/Supervisor to provide you assistance in requesting a key card/key from your coordinator.

Q:  What can I do to maintain the reliability of my key card?
A:  Proper care of your key card or key is essential.  The following are some basic guidelines to consider:
  • Do not expose your key card to extreme heat to open flame
  • Do not crimp, bend, or twist your keycard
  • Do not re-laminate
  • Do not punch a slot or hole in the key card as it could damage the chip
  • If you have a key card from another area, do not hold two key cards towards the reader at the same time.  The reader may read the wrong card.

Q:  What do I do if my key or key card has been lost?
A:  Report any lost keys or key cards to your supervisor and your Key/Key Card Coordinator immediately.  If you or your supervisor do not know who your Key/Key Card Coordinator is please call (503) 373-7001.  Someone at this number will direct you to the proper person to contact.
Back to the Top

Q:  How often are the air filters changed for the buildings?
A:  The building air filters are inspected once a month on a preventive maintenance schedule.  If the filters are found to be outside the manufacturer’s limits, or the filter material is torn, or if there is an excess pressure drop across the filters, then the filters are replaced.
Q:  When there is dust or dirt on the registers does this mean that the HVAC system is dirty?
A:  The particles come from dirt that is brought in by foot traffic, paper dust, or other activities within the office.  The dirt that you see accumulating on the registers are actually fine dust particles that are being circulated within the room or space.  The action of the air being delivered through the diffuser causes the dust particles to electro statically bond to the grille surface and to the ceiling surface next to the supply grilles.
Q:  On the coldest days of the year, is there any outside air provided to the building?  How often is the building air exchanged and conditioned?
A:  Even at cold outdoor temperatures, a minimum quantity of 20 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of outside air per person is provided to the building.  The building air is re-circulated and conditioned at the rate of 3 to 4 air changes per hour, during building operation.
Back to the Top

Q:  Who do I call if the power quits working in my work space or systems furniture?
A:  Please call the O & M Help Desk at (503) 378-3664.  A custodian will be dispatched to reset the breaker.  If the custodian is unable to reset the breaker, an electrician will be dispatched to respond and troubleshoot the issue.
Q:  Can the tenant request electrical changes in the buildings such as additions or the relocation of power?
A:  Yes, requests are reviewed and assessed to evaluate labor and material costs.  Major changes require approval by the DAS Project Authorization Committee.
Back to the Top

O & M Services

Services Provided
Additional Services

Tenant Resources


Contact Us

Salem: (503) 378-3664
Portland Area Contacts

FAQ Quick Links

Building Security
Services & Repair