A LUCS is a form developed by DEQ to determine whether a DEQ permit or approval will be consistent with local government comprehensive plans and land use regulations.
DEQ and other state agencies with permitting or approval activities that affect land use are required by Oregon law to be consistent with local comprehensive plans and have a process for determining consistency. DEQ activities affecting land use and the requirement for a LUCS may be found in Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) Chapter 340, Division 18.
A LUCS is required for nearly all DEQ permits and certain approvals of plans or related activities that affect land use prior to issuance of a DEQ permit or approval. These permits and activities are listed on the LUCS form. A single LUCS can be used if more than one DEQ permit or approval is being applied for concurrently.
Permit modifications or renewals also require a LUCS when any of the following applies:
- Physical expansion on the property or proposed use of additional land;
- Alterations, expansions, improvements or changes in method or type of disposal at a solid waste disposal site as described in OAR 340-093-0070(4)(b);
- A significant increase in discharges to water;
- A relocation of an outfall outside of the source property; or
- Any physical change or change of operation of an air pollutant source that results in a net significant emission rate increase as defined in OAR 340-200-0020.
How to complete a LUCS
Applicant completes Section 1 of the LUCS and submits it to the appropriate city or county planning office.
City or County Planning Office City or county planning office completes Section 2 of the LUCS to indicate whether the activity or use is compatible with the acknowledged comprehensive plan and land use regulations, attaches written findings supporting the decision of compatibility, and returns the signed and dated LUCS to the applicant.
Applicant submits the completed LUCS and any supporting information provided by the city or county to DEQ along with the DEQ permit application or approval request.
Where to get help
For questions about the LUCS process, contact the appropriate city or county jurisdiction that is responsible for the local comprehensive plan. For questions regarding the DEQ’s LUCS process and involvement, staff may be reached at 1-800-452-4011 (toll-free, inside Oregon) or 503-229-5630.
Land Use Contacts
Contact the Planning Department in the City or County where the project is located.
Questions about attaching a LUCS to a DEQ permit
Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco, and Wheeler counties
- Robert Baggett: 541-633-2036
Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Tillamook, and Washington counties
- Audrey O'Brien: 503-229-5072
- Cheryl Grabham: 503-504-7906
Benton, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties
- Mike Kucinski: 541-687-7331
- Mary Camarata: 541-687-7435
If your land use issue involves Land Quality programs/policies, contact:
- Cheyenne Chapman: 503-229-6461
Onsite septic systems
If your land use issue involves the Onsite (septic system) program, contact:
- Robert Baggett: 541-633-2036
- Randy Trox: 541-687-7338