On this page
Should you contact the quit line?
- Are you ready to quit? Call or login online and we'll help you make your quit plan.
- Are you not quite ready to quit? Call or login online and we'll help you get started.
- Have you tried to quit and it didn't work? It can take more than one try to quit for good. Don't be discouraged. Call us. Or login online. We'll help you make a new quit plan.
- Have you already quit? We know it's hard for a while. If you need some help to stay tobacco-free, please call us or login online.
Still not sure?
We know what you're going through. We don't nag or lecture. We help you feel more confident about quitting for good. There are many different ways to quit. We'll help you make a plan that will work for you.
When you call the Quit Line -- you will receive:
- Tips on what to do when you have the urge to smoke, chew or use an e-cigarette.
- Times and situations when you usually smoke, chew or use an e-cig and ways to change these routines when you quit.
- If you've tried to quit, we'll talk about what hasn't worked and new things you could try.
- We'll tell you about medications that can help you quit. We may be able to send you free nicotine patches and/or gum.
Contact the Quit Line today at 1.800.QUIT.NOW (1.800.784.8669) or online at www.quitnow.net/oregon.
What happens when you call the Quit Line?
When you call or visit the Quit Line online, you will be asked to register for the program. Once you are registered, staff will explain what Quit Line counseling benefits are available to you and ask if you would like to start counseling now, or schedule a counseling call at a time that is convenient for you.
Once you sign up with the Quit Line, you can:
- Talk or chat online with an expert Quit Coach who knows what you are going through and will help you make a Quit Plan that will work for you.
- Get more help from your Quit Guide -- we'll send you materials chosen just for you or you can access our library online.
- Ask for support -- tell your family and friends about your Quit Plan or join our message boards online and connect with others quitting tobacco.
- Receive 2 weeks of nicotine patches and/or gum to help you get started with your quit (if eligible).
If you ever need more help, call us again for free.
Quit Tobacco Websites
Resources for Health Care Providers
The Oregon Tobacco Quit Line is a free, telephone and web-based program that helps callers quit tobacco. It offers free confidential, evidence-based counseling and materials. Callers may be eligible for nicotine patches or gum. It's a reliable referral resource for your patients or clients who use tobacco or nicotine products.
The Quit Line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Current Quit Line Services (pdf) (Updated October 2013)
Quit Line information for providers (pdf)
Referring Patients and Clients to the Quit Line
Download Quit Line posters, palm cards and other materials to have in your office or hand out to patients
Referring patients to the Quit Line is easy and confidential. It can be done through fax referral or e-referral using your electronic health/medical record system. The Quit Line will call your patient to enroll them in phone or web-based counseling. If you are a HIPAA-covered provider, you will receive a progress report back from the Quit Line.
Fax Referral Forms
Automatic or E-Referrals
If you would like more information on electronic referrals, please contact Shira Pope, Health Systems Policy Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org.