This webpage is for overview purposes only.
Please consult Chapter 584, Oregon Administrative Rules,
for specific rules and regulations on teaching licensure.
Overview of Redesign of Teaching License
Purpose of redesign
- All teachers licensed under one system
- More advancement options for teachers
- More flexibility for districts
- Streamlining endorsements
- Supporting instructional excellence for all students
Notes on redesign of teaching licenses
- Process began in October 2012.
- Teachers, districts, programs and other stakeholders helped design new system.
- Basic/Standard and Initial/Continuing licensure systems are combined into new Preliminary/Professional structure.
- All licenses have a preK-12 authorization.
New Teaching Licenses
Preliminary Teaching license
- New and novice teachers
- May renew until qualifies for Professional Teaching License
- 3 year license
Professional Teaching license
- Teachers with advanced competencies and experience
- Requires 4 years full time experience
- Requires completion of advanced professional development or educational program
- 5 year license
Teacher Leader license
- Optional license
- Teachers with professional leadership activities
- Must first qualify for professional or equivalent license
- Requires at least 5 years recent teaching experience
- 5 year license
Legacy Teaching license
- Veteran teachers
- Held Oregon Basic teaching license prior to 1999
- Not eligible for Professional Teaching License
- 3 year license
Reciprocal Teaching license
- Out-of-state teachers moving to Oregon
- Must have completed teacher prep program outside of Oregon
- Must have an active and valid out-of-state teaching license
- Transitional license while working on Oregon requirements
- One year license
- PreK - 12 authorization - all teaching licenses
- Grade-specific levels (ECE/ELE/ML/HS) are abolished.
- Educators may teach their endorsed subjects in all school levels as indicated in the TSPC Course to Endorsement Catalogue.
Endorsements and Specializations
- One set of endorsements and specializations - all teaching licenses
- Old endorsement types converting to new ones
- Middle level/multiple subjects endorsement was eliminated on 7/1/2015 and replaced by three transition options. As teachers holding this endorsement renew, TSPC staff will evaluate the applicant and grant endorsements based on the transition rule approved by the Commission. Until renewal, these teachers may continue in their current assignment.
- Please use the current TSPC Course to Endorsement Catalogue for assignments.
Professional Development Requirements
- 75 continuing PDUs if currently hold 3 year license (Preliminary and Legacy)
- 125 continuing PDUs if currently hold 5 year license (Professional and Teacher Leader)
- PDU: Continuing for more information
Administrator License Redesign
Administrator Licensure Redesign was completed in February of 2019. Please see information available at the Administrator License Redesign webpage for further information.
Personnel Service License Redesign
Personnel service license redesign is in the process of being developed as of May 2020.
Personnel Service Licenses
- School Counselor, School Psychologist, School Social Worker and Limited Student Services licenses
- Redesign planned for 2020