Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Upgrading to Professional

General Information

Professional Licenses are licenses that qualify its holder to teach in Oregon public school districts, education service districts (ESDs) and charter school assignments. The Professional License signifies that its holder is experienced and has successfully demonstrated an advance level of knowledge, skills and dispositions.

Professional Licenses are optional* and have two separate eligibility requirements:

1. Completion of sufficient Experience; and
2. Completion of an Advanced Program

NOTE: Continuing PDUs do not count toward meeting either of these requirements. Please go to "Professional Development Requirements: Continuing PDUs" page for details on completion of Continuing PDUs.

Experience Requirement

All experience must be verified on a PEER form and experience must be completed while holding a Reciprocal, Preliminary, or equivalent non-provisional license from a National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) jurisdiction.

NOTE: For educators verifying experience completed out of state, the PEER form is found on our Forms and Instructions page and needs to be submitted to

Advanced Program Requirement

The Advanced Program must have been completed by the applicant after the date of issuance of your first non-provisional (unrestricted) license in Oregon or another National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) jurisdiction.

Please continue to the corresponding PDF below for an outline of the items needed to meet the requirements for the Professional License.

Professional Teaching License

Professional Teaching License Information

Professional Administrator License

*The Professional Administrator License is the professional administrator license for the state of Oregon and signifies that the holder is prepared for leadership in the district-level context. The Professional Administrator License is optional to serve in school-level context (i.e. building principal), but is required to serve in the district level context.

Other Professional Licenses

Personnel Services Licenses are Commission licenses issued to professions that service PreK-12 students in unique areas of School Counseling, School Psychology and School Social Work.

Professional Personnel Services License Information