Skip to the main content of the page

Smoke and Field Burning

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Agricultural burning

While ODA does not regulate agricultural burning, the department's close relationship with growers, nurseries, farmers, and other stakeholders who perform agricultural burning as part of their agricultural business practices means that ODA is often a first point of contact for questions about agricultural burning. 

ODA maintains a Grower Hotline (503-986-4755) which provides a daily recording of agricultural and backyard burning recommendations as provided by the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF).

Agricultural burning is the burning of any agricultural waste generated by an agricultural operation that uses or intends to use land primarily for the purpose of obtaining profit by raising, harvesting, and selling crops or animals. Prohibited materials such as tires cannot be burned, even in an agricultural setting. If you make your primary living from an agricultural operation, you are considered an agricultural operator and can agricultural burn. If you don't make your primary living from the agricultural operation, you are a backyard burner and subject to the rules of backyard burning. 

The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulates agricultural burning under OAR Chapter 340 Division 264 Rules for Open Burning

​Agricultural burning is also subject to the requirements and prohibitions of local jurisdictions and the Oregon State Fire Marshal​​.

Backyard burning

Backyard burning is allowed in the Willamette Valley between March 1 and June 15, and October 1 through December 15. ​In central Lane county, the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA) authorizes burning from October 1 through June 15. Conditions such as drought, high winds, or other unfavorable conditions may also result in burn bans during these time periods when backyard burning would otherwise be allowed. Always contact your local fire district prior to burning. 

Local fire districts are the regulatory authority for backyard burning and should be contacted for more information about local burn conditions. Local fire districts may also require special permits for all types of burning, including agricultural and open field burning. Be sure to contact your local fire district prior to any burning. The State Fire Marshal website has the most current contact information for fire districts​

More information is available on the DEQ Backyard Burning webpage

Burning advisories 

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and the Department of Forestry (ODF) issue a daily advisory for the Willamette Valley (north of Lane County) with recommendations for both agricultural and backyard burning. To view this advisory or to subscribe, visit​

Other types of burning 

For information on other types of outdoor burning in Oregon, visit DEQ's ​Outdoor Burning in Oregon webpage.


Smoke comments hotline
Smoke Management
Phone: 503-986-4709
Grower hotline (agricultural burning)
Smoke Management
Phone: 503-986-4755
Smoke Information
Smoke Management
Phone: 503-986-4701
Teresa Nicholson
Registration and Permitting Coordinator
Smoke Management
Phone: 503-871-7747
Susanna Pearlstein
Program Manager
Smoke Management
Phone: 971-283-4749
Elizabeth Savory
Program Manager
Smoke Management
Phone: 503-881-0889