Weights and Measures

​​​​​If you are going to use your scale or meter commercially, then you may need a license.

If you own a scale and buy, sell, or trade it is likely that Oregon law requires the scale to be licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA).

Commercial scales 

Oregon law requires the scale to be licensed in the following cases:

  • It measures product in mass units
  • It is used to value a product when ownership is transferred from seller to buyer
Commercial scales must be licensed regardless of the application. Mass flow meters used to weigh product are considered commercial scales. 

Shipping scales 

If a parcel must be weighed as a part of a transaction then the scale used must be a licensed commercial scale even if the parcel weight is not directly used to determine price. 

Commercial meters 

​Commercial meters are used to measure in volume units instead of weight. 

  • Oregon law requires the meter to be licensed if it is used to meter fuel in a commercial transaction. 
  • Commercial meters of all types must conform to the legal requirements set forth in ORS 646 and OAR 603-027, however only those used to sell fuel are required to be licensed.


Commercial measuring devices must conform to the requirements in ORS 646 and OAR 603-027 in order to be licensed by ODA.

Requirements include the following:

  • A valid National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Certificate of Conformance (COC) 
  • Proper installation and adjustment
  • Meeting specifications and tolerances found in NIST Handbook 44 

Licensing process

  1. Placed in service report (PISR) is completed and returned to the ODA Weights and Measures Program along with your application and fee(s). 
  2. Once license fees are received by ODA it will be legal for you to use your device(s).
  3. When an ODA Weights and Measures investigator is in your area, he will inspect and test the newly installed device to verify that it meets all of the requirements.

​Service companies

You may purchase a scale or meter through a service company or hire a service company to install, repair, and assist in the licensing process.

License renewal

All licenses are issued with each fiscal year beginning on July 1 and expiring on June 30 of the following year. Licenses and fees cannot be prorated. Licensing fees for the next fiscal are collected beginning on May 15.


Cannabis & Weights and Measures Information

Cannabis and commercial scales handout

National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Informational Handout

NTEP handout

Placed in service report form — large scale

Scale capacity 1,161 lbs and up Placed in service - large scales

Placed in service report form — meters

Placed in service - meters

Placed in service report form — propane

Placed in service - propane

Placed in service report form — small scale

Please use this form for all small scales excluding cannabis. Scales 0-1,160 lbs. Placed in service - small scales

Placed in Service Report Form — Small Scales (Cannabis)

Scale rated capacity 0-1,160 lbs Placed in Service - Cannabis

Placed in Service Report Form - Small Scales (Hemp)

A small scale placed in service report form for hemp licensees Placed in service - Hemp

Placed in service report information booklet

A question and answer format for information on Placed in Service Reports as well as their requirements in Oregon Administrative Rule. Placed in service report information

Weights and Measures license application form

Weights and Measures License Application Form

Weights and Measures schedule of licensing fees

Schedule of licensing fees

Weights and Measures staff directory

Weights and Measures staff directory ODA Staff Directory Website



Main Office
Weights and Measures
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4670
Fax: 503-986-4784
Licensing Office
Administrative Services
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4600
Fax: 503-986-4746