The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Oregon's specialty crops. ODA accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Enhance the competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops
To be eligible for a grant, the project(s) must "enhance the competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops" in either domestic or foreign markets.
Crops that are eligible
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Christmas trees
- Turf type grasses
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Oregon’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Public and private colleges/universities
For the purposes of the additional H.R.133 Consolidated Appropriations Act funding, ODA will not be accepting research proposals. Research projects are encouraged to apply to the full competitive process for FY22 funding opening in December of 2021.
All other proposals will have to follow normal SCBGP guidelines as outlined within this document.
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Timeline (dates subject to change)
|Request for full proposals (RFP)
||Opens June 1, 2021|
|SCBGP overview and process webinar (webinar will be recorded)
||June 8, 2021 at 10:00 am|
||June 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm (noon)|
|Projects reviewed by SCBGP Advisory Committee
|Projects reviewed by the ODA director
|Sub-grantees selected to participate in the SCBGP
|Projects sent over for review by USDA||October 2021|
|USDA approval of SCBGP projects||November - December 2021|
|H.R. 133 sub-grantees may begin work on projects||January 2022|