Skip to main content Homepage

Adoption: Foreign Born

Adoptions of Children from Countries Outside the United States

The requirements for filing a Certificate of Foreign Birth are the same as for other adoptions. Oregon law provides for the issuance of a Certificate of Foreign Birth if a child born outside the United States to parents who are not U.S. citizens is adopted through an Oregon court. A child born in Canada to parents who are not U.S. citizens will have a new birth certificate created by the Province where the birth occurred. If a Certificate of Foreign Birth has already been filed in another state and the child is re-adopted by a second set of adoptive parents, the documents should be forwarded to the state where the first Certificate of Foreign Birth record was filed.

If a child is born abroad to at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, the birth certificate is usually registered through the U.S. Department of State at the time of birth. If a person born abroad is not registered through the U.S. Department of State before the age of 18, then proof of citizenship needs to be obtained from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security/Immigration and Naturalization office.

When a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Oregon approves an adoption for a foreign born child, the Oregon Vital Records office prepares a new birth record and the original birth record and the adoption documents are placed in a sealed file. Vital record sealed files can only be opened through a court order from an Oregon Court even when the birth parents are known to the adoptee or the adoptive parents.

To create a new birth record and issue a certificate after a court has approved and filed the adoption decree, we need the following:

  1. An original certified copy of an Adoption Report form showing the original seal and signature of the court official certifying the document. If an Adoption Report is not available, we must have an original certified copy of the Adoption Judgment and an Adoption Information Sheet. The information sheet provides data about the adoptive parents for the new birth record that may be missing in the adoption judgment.
  2. A $35 amendment fee.
  3. $25 for a Certificate of Foreign Birth. Additional certificates may be requested for a fee of $25 each if ordered at the same time.
  4. A completed birth record order form with signature and photocopy of applicant's ID. The order form should list the child's new adoptive name and adoptive parents' names. The Vital Records mailing address and payee information are available on this form.

Follow Up On Requests for Adoption Processing

For children born outside the United States except Canada:

Foreign Born Adoption Specialist – CHS Amendments

When you call or email, please provide:

  1. The name of the child before and after adoption, date of birth and place of birth;
  2. The approximate date the court approved the adoption and/or the date you submitted the documents and the fees to our office;
  3. Whether you received any correspondence from our office or submitted any additional fees or documents in separate mailings.

For Adoption Agency Staff and Attorneys

When preparing an Adoption Report for submittal to a court in Oregon, please use Form 45-24. (Updated 01/2016)

Adoption Information Sheet: If you are submitting an original certified copy of a Adoption Judgment/Decree, please complete the Adoption Information Sheet Form 45-20 and submit with the court document.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how