Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Additional Sources for Vital Records

On this page:

Archival records

Some vital records that have become public records are available as uncertified copies from the Oregon State Archives in Salem, 800 Summer Street NE, Salem, Oregon 97310 (503-373-0701) for a small fee.

  • Birth records filed before 1903
  • Death records filed after 1903 that are over 50 years old
  • State marriage records for 1906 through 1910 and after 1945 if they are over 50 years old.
  • State divorce certificates filed after 1945 if they are over 50 years old

Marriage records, including some records prior to 1906, may also be requested from the county marriage office which issued the license.

Divorce decrees (judgments), both certified and uncertified, are available from the Oregon county court that granted the divorce.

If the record you are ordering is for a recent event (two to four weeks for death and six to eight weeks for marriage and divorce), it may not yet be available from our office. You may need to order the death record from the local county vital records office, the marriage or domestic partnership record from the local county clerk's office, or the divorce decree from the county court that granted the divorce. If you place an order with our office, the order will be held until the record is received and the certificate can be issued.

Ordering a vital record from a county vital records office

Most county vital records offices in Oregon issue birth and death records for six months following the date of the event. You will find vital records offices in your county health department or your county clerk's office. To locate an Oregon county vital records office, please see the Oregon County Health Department Directory.

Ordering a vital record from another state

Order Information for other states is available from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention including:

  • Addresses for State Vital Record Offices
  • Phone numbers for Vital Record Offices
  • Links to other state and county vital record websites

Ordering a vital record from another country

If you were born in another country to parents who are U.S. citizens, or if a U.S. citizen died or was married abroad prior to 1987, you may obtain consular reports documenting these events from the U.S. Department of State. For ordering information visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs also provides address lists of foreign consular offices in the United States. These offices may provide help if you are not a U.S. citizen and need assistance in ordering a vital record from another country.

Obtaining an authentication document so an Oregon vital record is accepted outside the United States

The Oregon Secretary of State issues certificates required by many countries to prove the validity of Oregon birth, death, marriage and divorce records. To get a certifying document, also known as an apostille, you will need a vital record issued by the state Center for Health Statistics rather than a county. Ordering information is provided by the Oregon Secretary of State/Corporate Division.