Skip to main content

Hazard Mitigation Assistance

Hazard mitigation is any action taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to people and property as a result of natural disasters. Hazard mitigation planning is a process used by State, tribal, and local governments to identify risks and vulnerabilities associated with natural disasters, and to develop mitigation strategies to reduce or eliminate long term risks. Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) grant programs funded by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may include, but are not limited to buy-outs, elevations and safe rooms.
The Mitigation and Recovery Services (MARS) Department of the Oregon Office of Emergency Management (OEM) employs one full-time State Hazard Mitigation Officer (SHMO), a planner, and several accounting personnel to administer the HMA grant programs at the State level.
OEM Contact:
Amie Bashant, State Hazard Mitigation Officer
There are three programs under HMA: The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program, and the Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) Program.
  • HMGP assists in implementing long-term hazard mitigation planning and projects following a Presidential major disaster declaration.
  • PDM provides funds for hazard mitigation planning and projects on an annual basis.
  • FMA provides funds for planning and projects to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings that are insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) on an annual basis.
HMGP funding is generally 15 percent of the total amount of federal assistance provided to a State, Territory, or federally-recognized tribe following a major disaster declaration. PDM and FMA funding depends on the amount Congress appropriates each year for those programs. Because OEM strives for excellence and maintains Enhanced Plan status, Oregon is eligible to receive up to 20 percent of assistance for the estimated aggregate amounts of disaster assistance. PDM and FMA funding is appropriated by FEMA annually for a given fiscal year (some years, there may not be fuding appropriated).
Individual homeowners and business owners may not apply directly to FEMA. Eligible local governments may apply on their behalf. All eligible applicants, including special districts, must have a FEMA-approved Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan (NHMP) in place prior to applying for funding.
For guidance regarding HMA, please review the following documents:

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how