Applicants Taking Examination
Applicants who sit for an examination administered by HLO must provide two forms of identification (one must be photographic under Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 331-030-0000(8)) when sitting for the examination.
Be sure that your name is exactly the same on your two forms of identification. Otherwise, you will not be able to sit for the examination.
This requirement applies to the following applicant groups:
- Board of Electrologists and Body Art Practitioners
- Board of Cosmetology (practitioner certificate, certificate of identification only)
- Board of Denture Technology
- Environmental Health Registration Board
- Advisory Council on Hearing Aids
- Nursing Home Administrators Board
Applicants Not Taking Exam
The following applicant groups are required to provide one form of photographic identification. These applicants are not required to take and pass a qualifying examination administered by HLO and may apply for an authorization to practice via postal mail.
Applicants applying for an authorization to practice through postal mail must include a front-and-back copy of the photographic identification with the application.
- Board of Athletic Trainers
- Board of Direct Entry Midwifery
- Board of Licensed Dietitians
- Respiratory Therapist and Polysomnographic Technologist Licensing Board
- Sex Offender Therapist Board
Business License Applicants
The following application categories are required to provide a copy of one form of photographic identification:
- Facility license
- Demonstration permit
- Temporary permit
- Independent contractor registration
Acceptable Forms of ID
As specified in Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 331-30-0000(6):
(6) An applicant may be required by the Health Licensing Office (HLO) to provide two forms of original identification issued by a federal, state or local government agency. The Office will consider other forms of identification if the procedures used in issuing the identification are sufficient to prove the applicant's identity, and it contains security features that are sufficient to prevent alteration or counterfeiting. Acceptable identification includes, but is not limited to:
(a) An original or certified copy of birth certificate. The Office will not accept a hospital-issued birth certificate, hospital card or birth registration or baptismal certificate.
(b) A United States passport not expired more than five years.
(c) A United States passport card not expired more than five years.
(d) U.S. Territory passport not expired more than five years.
(e) Tribal ID card from a federally recognized tribe.
(f) Certificate of Citizenship (N560 and N561).
(g) Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 and N578).
(h) U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197 and I-179).
(i) U.S. Military documents including:
(A) Military or Armed Forces ID card;
(B) Military Common Access Card; or
(C) U.S. Uniform Services ID and Privileges card (DD1173 and DD1173-1).
(j) Resident Alien card.
(k) Permanent Resident card (I-551).
(l) Out-of-state, District of Columbia, U.S. Territorial government or, instruction permit or identification card, that contains the applicant's photograph, not expired more than one year unless hole-punched or marked "Not Valid as ID."
(m) Valid Oregon driver license, temporary driver license, instruction permit, or identification card. For the purposes of this subsection, HLO will not accept a driver license that was issued without a photograph.
(n) Oregon Concealed Weapon Permit/Concealed Handgun License, not expired more than one year.
(o) Social Security card or other documentation issued by the Social Security Administration.
(9) HLO will not accept a document as proof of identity and date of birth if HLO has reason to believe the document is not valid. The office may request an applicant present additional documentary proof of identity if the document presented does not establish the applicant's identity to the satisfaction of HLO.
(10) At least one form of identification provided from the approved list in subsection (8) of this rule must be photographic.
ITIN Accepted in Lieu of SSN
HLO requires an Individual Taxpayer Identification number (ITIN) on applications if the applicant does not have a Social Security number.
The ITIN is not used for identification purposes. It is used by the Oregon Department of Revenue for tax purposes and by the Department of Justice for child support enforcement.
Applicants may not use the ITIN as an acceptable form of identification. An ITIN or Social Security number is required in addition to acceptable forms of identification. If an applicant has a Social Security card, the card may also be used as an acceptable form of identification.
Changing your legal name?