Optional Insurance Coverage
OEBB has contracted with The Standard Insurance Company to provide the following optional benefits to OEBB members:
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
OEBB-participating employers can choose to offer any or all of these coverages as optional employee-paid benefits, automatic employer-paid benefits, or they could choose not to offer one or more of these coverages to their employees. If they do choose to offer any of these coverages, they must use The Standard – they are not allowed to use an alternative vendor.
If you are an OEBB member, please confirm with your employer whether this benefit is available to you and, if so, how to access it.
Learn more on The Standard website.
Optional Life Insurance Premium Calculator
If you have OEBB life insurance coverage through The Standard, you need to designate a beneficiary. This is how you officially tell The Standard who you want to receive your insurance benefit in case of a claim. You have two options in the MyOEBB system:
- Name a specific beneficiary or beneficiaries; or
- Select the "Standard Designation"
The Standard Designation creates a chain of beneficiaries that automatically allows for future marriages, divorces, births, deaths, or adoptions within your family as established by Oregon law. It will name your next of kin surviving you at the time of your death in the following groups in the order listed:
- To my spouse; and if he or she does not survive me, then to,
- My child or children in equal shares, and the shares of any child who does not survive me to his or her children living at my death in equal shares; but, if none of my children survive me, then to the children of my children living at my death in equal shares; and if neither my children nor any of their children survive me, then to
- My mother and father in equal shares, or to the survivor; and if neither survives me, then to
- My brothers and sisters in equal shares, and the shares of any brother and sister who does not survive me to his or her children living at my death in equal shares; but, if none of my brothers and sisters survive me, then to the children of my brothers and sisters living at my death in equal shares.
The terms “child” and “children,” as used in this beneficiary designation, shall include both biological and adopted children, whether born or adopted before or after the date on which I selected this beneficiary.
No payment shall be made to persons included in any of the above groups should there be living at the date of my death persons in any groups preceding it as listed.
Except as I have designated in groups (1) and (4) above, I choose not to have the dependents of any beneficiary who does not survive me take any interest or benefit in property subject to this designation.