During your certification or recertification period, in order to renew your certification for another 3 years, you must complete these Traditional Health Worker Continuing Education Requirements (410-180-0320):
(1) To maintain certification status, all THWs shall complete at least 20 hours of Authority approved continuing education during every three-year renewal period.
(2) Family support specialists and youth support specialists shall complete at least 40 hours of Authority approved continuing education during every three-year renewal period. Two topics must be included within the 40 hours:
(a) The application of “means counseling" and “safety planning;"
(b) The use of lived experience and ethical practice.
(3) Continuing education hours taken in excess of the total number required may not be carried over to the next renewal period
(4) Requests for approval of continuing education courses may come from the hosting organization or from a certified THW attending the training or event.
Continuing Education Units may either be received from an OHA-approved CEU training program or any educational hours that support the individual THW's scope of work.
The Authority awards continuing education hours for:
- Additional THW training offered by an OHA Approved THW training program;
- Any other Authority approved training or event;
- Any Non-OHA Approved trainings on a topic related to the THW worker type; (pending a review for relevancy and then approval by OHA)
Up to 10 hours of the CEUs can be from an Online course (50%) and the other 10 hours of the CEUs must be in person (50%)
Oregon Health Authority Approved Continuing Education Programs