Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

SB 551

What is SB 551?

In 2021, the Oregon State Legislature passed a law (Senate Bill 551 abbreviated as "SB 551") to help part-time faculty at Oregon community colleges and universities qualify for medical insurance.

Who is eligible?

A part-time faculty member who is not currently eligible or receiving medical benefits through their community college or university may be eligible for medical/prescription coverage under SB 551 if they worked at least .5 FTE at one, or in total at multiple, Oregon community colleges or public universities for three of the four previous academic terms.

I think I'm eligible. What do I do?
Contact a benefits administrator at an Oregon community college or university where you work. They will send enrollment and participation information to those employees they identify as eligible. If you have questions about the information you received, or if you believe you are eligible but did not receive any information, you should contact the community college or university where you work.

What coverage am I eligible for?
If you meet the eligibility requirements of SB 551, you are eligible for the same medical and prescription coverage as full-time faculty at the community college or university where you work. Contact your employer to learn about the plans currently available.

Can I cover the rest of my family too?
Not under SB 551. The law specifies employee-only coverage. Family members are not eligible to be added to your plan under SB 551.

Can I get dental and vision coverage?
Not under SB 551. The law specifies medical/prescription coverage only. Other types of insurance are not available under SB 551.

How much does SB 551 coverage cost?
You are responsible for 10% of the monthly premium cost of the medical/prescription plan you select. Exact costs will depend on the plan you choose. Your employer can tell you which plans are available to you and how much they each cost.

What is OEBB's role in SB 551?

OEBB provides medical plans to a number of Oregon community colleges. If your community college determines you are eligible for benefits under SB 551, and they purchase their medical plans through OEBB, then you will become an OEBB member at the time you enroll in one of their medical plans. Your employer will provide all the details about which plans are available to you, what each plan costs, and what is covered. Once you are enrolled, OEBB Member Services can help answer questions about your plan or direct you to the proper resources for your coverage.

I'm confused by all this. Who can help me figure it out?

Your employer is the best place to start. They can provide detailed information about your eligibility status, the plans available to you, and enrollment instructions. 

SB 551 Enrollment Form (for employers to use if they wish)

OEBB created this form to help our participating community colleges enroll their employees who are eligible under SB 551. Your employer may or may not use this form, so be sure to get your enrollment form directly from your employer. If they tell you to fill out this OEBB enrollment form, you will need to download and print the blank form, then fill it out by hand and submit it to your employer. OEBB cannot accept enrollment forms directly from employees eligible under SB 551. Contact your employer for enrollment instructions.

Download SB 551 Enrollment Form