Managing materials to minimize environmental impact
DEQ's materials management programs help consumers and industry make more sustainable choices for Oregon's future.
- CompostingComposting contributes to Oregon’s waste recovery goals through the efforts of commercial and agricultural composting operations and citizens who compost in their backyards.
- Conversion Technology FacilitiesConversion technology facilities use organic wastes such as plastics and tires to produce fuels, chemicals or other useful products.
- Environmental Impacts of Food Waste ManagementDEQ commissioned a project to assess the environmental impacts of the four most common food waste processing technologies to help inform the direction that would be best for the state to follow as food waste recovery programs begin to expand across Oregon.
- Green BuildingDEQ's green building program focuses on reducing environmental impacts over the lifecycle of building materials used in residential homes.
- Household Hazardous WasteAccording to national estimates, each home contains from three to eight gallons of hazardous materials in kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and basements.
- Materials ManagementDEQ's materials management programs help consumers and industry make more sustainable choices for Oregon's future. They include: recycling, composting, waste prevention, etc.
- Materials Management Grants DEQ's grant program, recently re-started in 2015, offers funding for recycling, waste prevention and other materials management projects.
- Oregon E-CyclesOregon E-Cycles Program
- PaintIn 2009 Oregon enacted a law requiring architectural paint manufacturers to start a program to reduce waste, increase reuse and recycling, and safely dispose of remaining unusable paint and other coatings. Paint product stewardship program complements and expands on the network of local waste collection programs, saving local governments money in transportation and disposal costs.
- Product StewardshipProducers and consumers share responsibility and cost for materials management.
- Recycling and Waste Prevention
- Solid Waste PermitsLearn about all things related to disposal, including landfills, animal mortality, illegal dumping, infectious waste, waste tires.
- Waste Prevention and Reuse
- Waste Prevention Campaigns